The Hindu Editorial (Fire warning) – Jan 23, 2021
The deadly fire in an upcoming production facility at the Serum Institute of India (SII), in Pune has sent shock waves because of the key role played… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Fire warning) – Jan 23, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Fire warning) – Jan 23, 2021:
- blaze (noun) – fire, flames, conflagration, inferno.
- highlight (verb) – underline, underscore, emphasize, call attention to.
- zero tolerance (noun) – a complete refusal to accept certain behavior.
- protocol (noun) – rules, procedure/system, convention.
- deadly (noun) – fatal, lethal; intense.
- play a part/role (phrase) – contribute to, be instrumental in, be a factor in.
- Covishield or Oxford vaccine (noun) – (ChAdOx1 nCoV-19) or (AZD1222) is a COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca, UK Ltd. (named Covishield in India and manufactured at the Serum Institute of India).
- vaccine (noun) – a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.
- perish (verb) – die, expire, be killed suddenly (particularly in an accident).
- reputedly (adverb) – supposedly, by all accounts, apparently.
- dose (noun) – an amount/quantity of something.
- a host of (noun) – lot, large number, great quantity.
- affluent (adjective) – wealthy, rich, well-to-do, well off.
- less affluent (adjective) – less wealthy, less well-to-do, less well off.
- COVAX (noun) – COVAX is co-led by Gavi, the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) and WHO. Its aim is to accelerate the development and manufacture of COVID-19 vaccines, and to guarantee fair and equitable access for every country in the world.
- normality (noun) – a normal state of affairs, regularity.
- indispensability (noun) – absolute necessity, vital importance, essential requirement, requisite.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- cast on/upon (phrasal verb) – to cause to fall onto or over something.
- ring-fence (verb) – reserve or set aside something (especially, money, fund, etc) for a particular purpose and not use it for anything else.
- assessment (noun) – evaluation, judgement, analysis.
- trigger (verb) – cause, bring about, give rise to, prompt, spark.
- flammable (adjective) – inflammable, burnable, combustible.
- afire (adjective) – blazing, on fire, burning, ablaze.
- set afire (or) set fire to (phrase) – cause to burn; ignite, set alight, set ablaze.
- trap (verb) – get stuck, get caught; prevent someone (from escaping from a location).
- asphyxiate (verb) – suffocate, choke, smother, stifle; die (by a lack of oxygen).
- solatium (noun) – compensation.
- migrant (noun) – a person who moves from one region to another – either within a country or across national borders in order to find work or better living conditions.
- jeopardise (verb) – put at risk, put in danger, endanger.
- lax (adjective) – neglectful, careless, heedless, unmindful, inattentive, casual.
- temperature-sensitive (adjective) – relating to something (e.g. vaccine) that works normally at lower temperatures, but alters it’s function at higher temperatures.
- pharmaceutical (adjective) – relating to aspects like preparation, dispensing and effective utilization of the medicinal drugs.
- wake-up call (noun) – something which alerts a person to a problem and makes him/her to do some remedial action.
- bottleneck (noun) – a condition which appears as not solvable and so delays the process; snag, difficulty/problem.
- constraint (noun) – restriction, limitation, hindrance.
- scramble (noun) – struggle, hurry, rush, race.
- inability (noun) – incapability, incompetence, ineptitude, ineffectiveness, inefficacy.
- bilateral (adjective) – involving two groups or countries.
- rollout (noun) – official launch/introduction.
- the bulk of (noun) – most, larger part, larger number.
- so far (phrase) – until now, up to the present, up to this point.
- vital (adjective) – key, essential, important.
- precision (noun) – exactness, correctness, accuracy.
- emphasise (verb) – draw attention to, put stress on, underscore, highlight.
- ventilation (noun) – the supplying of fresh air to a room.
- sprinkler (noun) – a device which is spraying water.
- fire drill (noun) – a practice of the emergency techniques/steps to be used (in the event of fire).
- dilution (noun) – reduction in value/power/force of something.
- due to (phrase) – because of, owing to, on account of.
- consideration (noun) – factor, issue, point, concern.
- reputation (noun) – name, status, position, standing.
- adherence (noun) – compliance, observance, conformity.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Fire warning) – Jan 23, 2021: