The Hindu Editorial (Final blow) – Jan 14, 2021
The Trump administration’s decision to redesignate Cuba as a state sponsor of terrorism, taken in its last days, appears to be a blatantly politicised move,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Final blow) – Jan 14, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Final blow) – Jan 14, 2021:
- blow (noun) – shock, surprise; setback/misfortune.
- reversal (noun) – turnaround, turnabout, U-turn, sea change.
- deter (verb) – put off, discourage, prevent, stop.
- redesignate (verb) – reclassify, relabel, rename.
- blatantly (adverb) – flagrantly, glaringly, obviously, evidently, openly.
- politicise (verb) – to make something into a political issue.
- bereft of (adjective) – deprived of/stripped of; lacking, deficient in; wanting, in need of.
- strategic (adjective) – relating to achieving long-term or overall (military) goals.
- moral reasoning (noun) – the logical process of determining whether an action is right or wrong.
- cite (verb) – refer to, make reference to, mention, point to.
- host (verb) – give, provide, organize, arrange (space for guests or for an event).
- fugitive (adjective) – relating to a person who has escaped from being confined or imprisoned.
- backing (noun) – support, assistance, cooperation, aid.
- designation (noun) – classification, labelling, pinpointing/naming.
- trigger (verb) – cause, bring about, give rise to.
- sanctions (noun) – action taken, or an order given to force a country to obey international laws by limiting or stopping trade with that country, by not allowing economic aid for that country, etc (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- mediator (noun) – arbitrator, arbiter, negotiator, conciliator.
- with regard to (phrase) – in respect of, concerning, with reference to.
- irrespective of (adjective) – notwithstanding, without regard for, regardless of.
- allege (verb) – claim, assert, declare, state.
- hand over (phrasal verb) – pass, transfer, assign.
- a host of (noun) – lot, large number, great quantity.
- consequential (adjective) – important, significant, major.
- acrimony (noun) – bitterness, hostility, resentment.
- root (noun) – basic cause of something.
- the Cold War (noun) – The Cold War was a state of political and military tension after World War II between powers in the Western Bloc (the United States and a group of countries) and powers in the Eastern Bloc (the Soviet Union and a group of countries).
- open up (phrasal verb) – create (a new opportunity or possibility).
- adverse (adjective) – unfavourable, disadvantageous, bad.
- relic (noun) – historical/ancient thing which is outmoded/still remaining now; remains, historical object/thing.
- predecessor (noun) – previous holder; forerunner, precursor, antecedent.
- decade (noun) – a period of ten years.
- regime (noun) – government.
- eventually (adverb) – in the end, in due course, after some time.
- fade (verb) – disappear, vanish, diminish/decrease.
- reset (noun) – re-establishment.
- ties (noun) – bond, connection, association, relationship.
- embassy (noun) – the diplomatic office building in a foreign country where the ambassador & team live and work; consulate, mission.
- successor (noun) – inheritor, next-in-line, descendant.
- confidence-building measures/mechanisms (noun) – confidence-building measures (CBMs) are planned procedures to prevent hostilities, to avert escalation, to reduce military tension, and to build mutual trust between countries.
- normalisation (noun) – the process of bringing something (relationship, ties) back to a normal condition after a war or disagreement.
- strange (adjective) – unusual, weird, abnormal, atypical.
- lie off (phrasal verb) – be placed some distance from coast/shore.
- campaign (noun) – an organized effort which seeks to influence the decision making progress within a specific group.
- reverse (verb) – alter, change.
- perhaps (adverb) – maybe, possibly.
- congressional (adjective) – relating to a national legislative body of the US.
- last minute (noun) – careless, disorganized, unmethodical, unsystematic, messy, thoughtless, inattentive.
- sabotage (noun) – deliberate damage, destruction, obstruction, disruption; spoiling, ruining.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Final blow) – Jan 14, 2021: