The Hindu Editorial (Deadly spread) – Sep 18, 2019
With a 30% increase in measles cases worldwide in 2018, the World Health Organization, in January 2019,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Deadly spread)- Sep 18, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Deadly spread) – Sep 18, 2019:
- vaccine (noun) – a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.
- hesitancy (noun) – reluctance, unwillingness, disinclination.
- vaccine hesitancy (noun) – a reluctance or refusal to be vaccinated or to have one’s children vaccinated; reluctance or refusal to vaccinate despite the availability of vaccines.
- overcome (verb) – get control of, deal with, succeed in dealing with (a problem/difficulty).
- measles (noun) – a viral infection that’s serious for small children but is easily preventable by a vaccine.
- surge (noun) – a sudden/sharp increase.
- vaccinate (verb) – immunize, protect from, safeguard from, shield from.
- account for (phrasal verb) – constitute, comprise, form.
- unprecedented (adjective) – not done or experienced before.
- mumps (noun) – a viral infection that affects the salivary glands that’s easily preventable by a vaccine.
- rubella (noun) – it is also known as German measles or three-day measles, is an infection caused by the rubella virus.
- MMR vaccine (noun) – a vaccine against measles, mumps, and rubella.
- respondent (noun) – disputant, claimant, complainant.
- alarming (adjective) – worrying, disturbing, shocking/distressing.
- striking (adjective) – noticeable, obvious, visible.
- vaccination (noun) – treatment with a vaccine to protect against a particular disease; immunization.
- unimmunised (adjective) – not immunized/not vaccinated.
- apprehension (noun) – doubt, misgiving; concern.
- adverse (adjective) – unfavourable, disadvantageous, bad.
- address (verb) – attend to, tackle, deal with.
- disinformation (noun) – lie, deception/fake news, false information.
- mortality rate (noun) – (in a particular time/for a cause) the rate of death.
- vulnerable (adjective) – weak, unprotected, feeble.
- infectious (adjective) – communicable, transmittable, spreadable.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Deadly spread) – Sep 18, 2019: