The Hindu Editorial (Credibility deficit) – Sep 24, 2019
In modifying its recommendation concerning Justice A.A. Kureshi, the Supreme Court Collegium appears to have succumbed to pressure from the Union government. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Credibility deficit)- Sep 24, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Credibility deficit) – Sep 24, 2019:
- credibility (noun) – trustworthiness, reliability, integrity.
- deficit (noun) – shortfall, deficiency, shortage.
- collegium (noun) – The collegium system is the one in which the Chief Justice of India and a forum of four senior most judges of the Supreme Court recommend appointments & transfers of judges. There is no mention of the collegium in the Constitution of India.
- succumb (verb) – yield, give in/submit, surrender, capitulate.
- quite (submodifier) – completely, fully, entirely.
- apparent (adjective) – clear, evident, obvious.
- averse (adjective) – opposed to, against, hostile.
- elevation (noun) – promotion, upgrading, advancement.
- suspicion (noun) – misgiving, doubt/qualm, scepticism.
- lurking (adjective) – hidden, sneaking, hiding.
- in line with (phrase) – in accordance with, in alignment with.
- bound to (adjective) – certain/sure, very likely, guaranteed.
- reiterate (verb) – repeat, say again, restate.
- opaque (adjective) – doubtful/dubious, mysterious/hidden, unexplained.
- transparency (noun) – clarity, straightforwardness, unambiguity.
- guilty (noun) – culprit, offender, wrongdoer.
- bona-fide (adjective) – genuine, real, authentic, true.
- inevitable (adjective) – unavoidable, sure to happen, unpreventable.
- dent (noun) – reduction, depletion, deduction.
- prevailing (adjective) – existing; current.
- narrative (noun) – a representation of a particular situation; report.
- interference (noun) – intervention, meddling, unwarranted involvement.
- come up with (phrasal verb) – propose, put forward, suggest.
- bridge (verb) – join, link, connect.
- even so (phrase) – anyway, however, in spite of that.
- indisputable (adjective) – undeniable, unquestionable, unarguable.
- flaw (verb) – weaken, mar, undermine/compromise.
- remedy (noun) – solution, answer, antidote/panacea.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Credibility deficit) – Sep 24, 2019: