The Hindu Editorial (Corona bond) – Apr 15, 2020
Deliberations on the €540-billion emergency rescue package that Eurozone Finance Ministers agreed on Thursday underscore… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Corona bond) – Apr 15, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Corona bond) – Apr 15, 2020:
- corona bond (noun) – Eurobond (external bond); a an international bond (debt instrument) issued that is denominated in a currency not native to the country where it is issued.
- eurozone (noun) – the European Union (EU) member states which have adopted the euro (€) as their common currency.
- COVID-19 (noun) – coronavirus disease 2019.
- rescue package (noun) – bailout package, revival package; the set of loans, investments, or other financial advantages that are offered to a company, economy, etc. to save it from financial failure.
- consensus (noun) – an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group, agreement, concurrence.
- debt instruments (noun) – the instruments that are used by the companies to provide finance (short term as well as long term) for their growth, investments and future planning and comes with an agreement to repay the same within the stipulated time period. Long-term instruments include debentures, bonds, long-term loans from the financial institutions, GDRs from foreign investors. Short-term instruments include working capital loans, short-term loans from financial instruments.
- bloc (noun) – group, union, association.
- deliberation (noun) – careful thought, thinking, consideration, discussion.
- underscore (verb) – underline, emphasize, highlight.
- chart (verb) – outline, describe, detail.
- coronavirus (CoV)(noun) – a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. (Courtesy: WHO)
- credit line (noun) – another term for line of credit; a source of funds that can readily be tapped/borrowed at the borrower’s discretion (choice).
- fortnight (noun) – a period of two weeks/fourteen days continuously.
- back (verb) – support, endorse, uphold.
- pledge (verb) – promise, swear, vow.
- take to (phrasal verb) – resort to, turn to, have recourse to, start.
- hail (verb) – acclaim, praise, applaud, commend.
- swift (adjective) – prompt, brisk, rapid, quick.
- substantial (adjective) – considerable, significant, meaningful.
- stoke (verb) – incite, encourage, provoke (a strong emotion).
- meltdown (noun) – (economic) downturn, slide, decline, collapse.
- burden-sharing (noun) – used to refer to the need for sharing responsibility for protection of something.
- outbreak (noun) – sudden appearance/occurrence (of a disease); outburst, epidemic.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- credit (noun) – the money lent/borrowed.
- European Stability Mechanism (noun) – a European Union agency that provides financial assistance, in the form of loans, to eurozone countries or as new capital to banks in difficulty. It is a permanent agency, based in Luxembourg, and has replaced the temporary European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF). (Courtesy: BBC).
- strip of (verb) – dispossess, deprive, deny/remove, take away from (rank, power, etc,.).
- conditionality (noun) – It refers to the conditions/requirements attached to the provision of loans, debt relief, or foreign aid by the provider to the recipient.
- reasoning (noun) – thinking, line of thought, logic, interpretation, argumentation.
- universal (adjective) – comprehensive, common, all-embracing, all-inclusive.
- symmetrical (adjective) – uniform, proportional, balanced, even.
- influence (verb) – affect, have an effect on.
- bailout (noun) – an act of providing financial help/support by the outside investors to a bank/institution which faces serious financial difficulty.
- without strings attached (phrase) – without any special conditions or restrictions or provisions.
- all the same (phrase) – in spite of everything, in spite of that, nevertheless/nonetheless, even so, however.
- furious (adjective) – enraged, angry, frenzied, fuming.
- populist (adjective) – relating to the politicians who claim that they are representing the common/ordinary people.
- far-right (adjective) – relating to the extreme right wing of a political party or group.
- eurosceptic (adjective) – relating to a person who is opposing to increase the powers of the European Union.
- apprehension (noun) – concern, doubt, worry.
- intrusive (adjective) – invasive, unavoidable, inescapable, impossible to ignore.
- intrusive inspection (noun) – it refers to the collection of inspection methodologies used to check an object for the presence of a condition that does require opening, unearthing or otherwise exposing the object. It is a rigorous method which involves maximum interruption.
- non-intrusive inspection (noun) – it refers to the collection of inspection methodologies used to check an object for the presence of a condition that does not require opening, unearthing or otherwise exposing the object. It involves minimal or no interruption.
- pro-european (adjective) – supporting/favouring the European Union.
- elite (noun) – high society people; the group of most powerful people in a society.
- regard (verb) – consider, look on, view, see.
- reluctance (noun) – unwillingness, disinclination, hesitation.
- Brussels (noun) – The headquarters of the European Union. Brussels is a metonym of the European Union.
- mutual (adjective) – shared, joint, common.
- issuance (noun) – an act of distributing/providing something.
- lukewarm (adjective) – unenthusiastic, unresponsive, half-hearted, indifferent, dispassionate.
- orthodox (adjective) – standard, customary/normal, conventional.
- advocate (verb) – support, promote, champion/espouse.
- throw one’s weight behind (phrase) – to use one’s influence to support something.
- hawk (noun) – a person who supports an aggressive policy. “Dove” means a person who supports peaceful policy.
- count (noun) – a point of consideration.
- hamper (verb) – hinder, obstruct, impede.
- solidarity (noun) – unity, harmony, mutual support.
- address (verb) – tackle, deal with, attend to, try to sort out.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Corona bond) – Apr 15, 2020: