The Hindu Editorial (Content tracking) – Nov 14, 2020
The recent decision of the government to bring video streaming services and online news under the ambit of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting was much anticipated,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Content tracking) – Nov 14, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Content tracking) – Nov 14, 2020:
- regulation (noun) – supervision, policing, overseeing, monitoring, inspection.
- OTT services (noun) – over-the-top media services popularly known as OTT media services is a streaming media service offered to the viewers directly through the Internet.
- self-regulation (noun) – self-monitoring; the ability to understand and manage your behaviour and your reactions to feelings and things happening around you.
- censorship (noun) – the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient.
- uncalled (for) (adjective) – unnecessary, undesirable, needless, unneeded, inessential.
- streaming (noun) – a process of transmitting or receiving (data, especially video and audio material) over the internet.
- ambit (noun) – range, scope, extent, reach.
- anticipate (verb) – expect, foresee, predict.
- trepidation (noun) – fear, anxiety, apprehensiveness, nervousness.
- from time to time (phrase) – sometimes, occasionally, now and again.
- make clear (phrase) – explain, clarify, elucidate.
- in favour of (phrase) – in support of, encouraging of, approving of.
- sort of (phrase) – to some extent, somewhat, somehow, slightly.
- regulatory (adjective) – governmental, executive, organizational.
- framework (noun) – structure, system, composition, organization.
- ask for (verb) – request, demand, appeal to, urge.
- self-regulatory (adjective) – controlled by the people involved in something, instead of by outside organizations or rules.
- mechanism (noun) – procedure, process, method/technique.
- regulate (verb) – supervise, police, oversee, monitor, inspect.
- pressing (adjective) – urgent, critical, crucial, important.
- count (noun) – A point (for discussion/consideration).
- merit (noun) – advantage, benefit, value, good point.
- a level playing field (phrase) – a situation in which everyone has a fair and equal opportunity to succeed, and no one has an advantage over the other.
- purview (noun) – range, sphere, scope, ambit.
- be subject to (verb) – bound by, constrained by, answerable to, accountable to, liable to, under the control of.
- get through (phrasal verb) – pass, be successful in, come through, meet the requirements of, pass muster in.
- Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) (noun) – It is a statutory film-certification body in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting of the Government of India. It is tasked with “regulating the public exhibition of films under the provisions of the Cinematograph Act 1952.
- in contrast (to) (phrase) – in opposition to, be very different from.
- a light-touch (phrase) – a careful way of handling/doing something.
- advisory (noun) – official communication, announcement, press release.
- play a part/role (phrase) – contribute to, be instrumental in, be a factor in.
- intent (noun) – aim, purpose, objective.
- nothing much/more (phrase) – nothing of importance.
- end up (phrasal verb) – come/appear, find oneself (to a particular course of action in the end).
- facilitate (verb) – make easy, make possible; assist, help/aid.
- interference (noun) – intervention, meddling, unwarranted involvement.
- appetite (noun) – liking, desire, craving, hunger, passion.
- satire (noun) – mockery, ridicule, derision.
- free speech (noun) – the right to express one’s opinions publicly.
- excuse (noun) – reason, explanation, justification.
- stifle (verb) – constrain, restrain, prevent, hamper, impede.
- voice (noun) – opinion, view; means of expression; power of speech.
- palatable (adjective) – acceptable, satisfactory, pleasing, agreeable, nice.
- influential (adjective) – important, significant, prominent.
- legitimate (adjective) – valid, reasonable, reliable.
- take shape (phrase) – become clear/definite, become tangible, fall into place.
- decade (noun) – a period of ten years.
- no-no (noun) – something which is not acceptable.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Content tracking) – Nov 14, 2020: