The Hindu Editorial (Choice and candidacy) – Feb 15, 2020
The idea of removing the taint of criminality from electoral politics has been engaging the country for decades. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Choice and candidacy) – Feb 15, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Choice and candidacy) – Feb 15, 2020:
- candidacy (noun) – the state/condition/fact of being a candidate, particularly in an election; candidate-ship.
- de-criminalisation (noun) – the process of making something as a legal/legitimate one.
- fiat (noun) – order, decree, command, diktat.
- taint (noun) – trace, hint, tinge (of a bad quality).
- criminality (noun) – the state/condition of being criminal.
- in this regard (phrase) – in connection with the aspect/consideration/point referred earlier.
- ought to (modal verb) – must, should.
- cleanse (verb) – rid, clear, free, purify, purge (something unpleasant/bad).
- precious little (phrase) – very little (to emphasis something).
- reluctance (noun) – unwillingness, disinclination, hesitation.
- antecedent (noun) – past, background, record, history.
- sought past and past participle of seek (verb) – try, attempt, aim.
- alarming (adjective) – worrying, disturbing, shocking/distressing.
- come up with (phrasal verb) – submit/suggest, propose, put forward.
- contempt of court (noun) – the offense of being disobedient to or disrespectful toward a court of law and its officers in the form of behavior that opposes or defies the authority, justice and dignity of the court.
- with reference to (phrase) – in relation to, as regards, with respect to, on the subject of.
- merit (noun) – quality, level, worthiness/goodness.
- bar (verb) – block, ban, exclude.
- merely (adverb) – only, simply, just.
- winnability (noun) – a capacity/ability for winning.
- affidavit (noun) – sworn statement, self attestation, self declaration (of a person).
- in line with (phrase) – in alignment with, in accordance with.
- clause (noun) – term, condition, provision, requirement.
- conviction (noun) – sentence, judgement, verdict.
- disposal (noun) – getting rid of, discarding/jettisoning, scrapping.
- underscore (verb) – underline, emphasize, highlight.
- point out (phrasal verb) – identify, recognize, draw attention to, mention.
- convicted (adjective) – declared guilty of a crime.
- apt (adjective) – smart, intelligent, clever.
- refrain from (verb) – stop oneself, abstain, desist from, hold back.
- loom (verb) – emerge, appear, become visible.
- back (verb) – support, endorse, uphold.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Choice and candidacy) – Feb 15, 2020: