Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan did not take many by surprise last week when he called presidential and parliamentary elections in June, more than a year ahead of schedule. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Best-laid plans) – Apr 24, 2018.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Best-laid plans) – Apr 24, 2018.
- consolidate (verb) – strengthen, secure, reinforce/fortify.
- snap (adjective) – spontaneous, unarranged, unplanned.
- take someone by surprise (phrase) – surprise, shock, stun.
- lurch (noun) – a sudden uncontrolled movement.
- right-wing (adjective) – alt-right, conservative, rightist (section of a political system).
- authoritarianism (noun) – autocracy, fascism, totalitarianism/draconianism.
- referendum (noun) – public vote; a direct vote in which people cast ballots to decide on a specific issue or policy (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- pull off (phrasal verb) – achieve, succeed in, accomplish.
- slender (adjective) – modest, slight, scant/little.
- plebiscite (noun) – public vote, ballot, popular vote.
- detention (noun) – custody, restraint, arrest.
- sagging (adjective) – declining, becoming weak.
- overheat (verb) – to show noticeable inflation.
- inflation (noun) – increase of price level of goods & services & vice versa decrease of currency value.
- wary (noun) – cautious, careful, alert.
- avert (verb) – prevent, stop, avoid.
- run-off (noun) – election again after a tie or inconclusive result.
- prelude (noun) – preliminary, preparation, overture/opening.
- hard line (noun) – uncompromising & strict attachment/commitment to a policy.
- notwithstanding (adverb) – nevertheless, nonetheless, in spite of that.
- emblematic (adjective) – symbolic, representative, demonstrative.
- tap into (verb) – exploit, use/utilize, make use of.
- insurgency movement (noun) – rebellion, revolt, uprising.
- militia (noun) – armed forces, military unit, soldiery (from the civil population to support main forces).
- shrunk (past participle of shrink) (verb) – lessen, reduce, decrease.
- imposition (noun) – implementation, execution, enforcement.
- crackdown (verb) – clampdown, getting tough/severe measures, suppression.
- coup (noun) – seizure of power, takeover, revolt.
- creeping (adjective) – (of a negative manner) occurring, developing gradually.
- intolerance (noun) – bigotry, narrow-mindedness; prejudice/discrimination.
- dissent (noun) – disagreement, lack of agreement, difference of opinion/argument.
- salvage (verb) – protect, preserve, conserve.
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Best-laid plans) – Apr 24, 2018.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.