The Hindu Editorial (Bear hug) – Sep 07, 2019
Unveiling the Russian edition of India’s ‘Look East, Act East’ policy, Prime Minister Narendra Modi pledged on Thursday to extend a $1 billion Line of Credit to Russia’s Far East region (RFE). For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Bear hug) – Sep 07, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Bear hug) – Sep 07, 2019:
- bear hug (noun) – tight control, squeeze (a strong financial pressure); a takeover or acquisition bid/offer/strategy that is potentially so attractive (or much higher value of target company) to its shareholders.
- ally (noun) – partner, supporter, accomplice/confederate.
- unveil (verb) – present, announce, disclose/make public.
- pledge on (verb) – promise, promise to give; undertake to give, contribute.
- line of credit (noun) – another term for credit line; a source of funds that can readily be tapped/borrowed at the borrower’s discretion (choice).
- outlying (adjective) – remote, inaccessible, out of the way.
- take-off point (noun) – a particular moment/point in time at which something (an activity) is beginning.
- bilateral (adjective) – involving two groups or countries.
- ties (noun) – relationship, allegiance, association.
- lag behind (phrasal verb) – trail, fall back, straggle/move slowly.
- strategic partnership (noun) – it is a long-term interaction between two countries based on political, economic, social and historical factors (Courtesy: IDSA (Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses)).
- exploration (noun) – investigation, search, inspection (of an area for natural resources).
- procurement (noun) – the action of buying or purchasing something.
- maritime (adjective) – of or related to the sea.
- roadmap (noun) – schedule of a (complex) program.
- prospect for (verb) – search for, seek.
- hydrocarbon (noun) – it is an organic compound consisting entirely of hydrogen and carbon which are the main components of petroleum and natural gas.
- build on (phrasal verb) – develop, enhance, expand on.
- pivot (noun) – focus/focal point, centre.
- far-reaching (adjective) – important, major, significant.
- implications (noun) – consequence/outcome, ramification, repercussion.
- bid (noun) – attempt, effort, endeavour/try.
- global warming (noun) – it is the unusually rapid increase in Earth’s average surface temperature over the past century primarily due to the greenhouse gases released as people burn fossil fuels.
- reflective (adjective) – thoughtful, contemplative, introspective.
- diversify (verb) – enlarge/expand, widen, branch out.
- underline (verb) – emphasize, highlight, draw attention to.
- foray (noun) – a brief & active attempt to get involved in a new activity/sphere.
- warm up (phrasal verb) – prepare, get ready, get into condition.
- clinch (noun) – a struggle or scuffle.
- account for (phrasal verb) – constitute, form, provide (a specific amount).
- foreign direct investment (FDI) (noun) – Investment from one country into another (normally by companies rather than governments) that involves establishing operations or acquiring tangible assets, including stakes in other businesses.
- polarized (adjective) – divided, separated.
- at cross purposes (phrase) – conflicting, contradictory, clashing, contrasting.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Bear hug) – Sep 07, 2019: