The Hindu Editorial (Assam discord) – May 08, 2021
A combination of welfarism, communalism and smart though daring alliances helped the BJP win a second consecutive term in Assam. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Assam discord) – May 08, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Assam discord) – May 08, 2021:
- discord (noun) – strife, conflict, friction, hostility, disagreement, lack of agreement, lack of harmony.
- identity (noun) – a social category, a set of persons marked by a label and distinguished by rules deciding membership and (alleged) characteristic features or attributes; individuality, character, originality.
- identity politics (plural noun) – it is also called as identitarian politics, refers to political positions based on the interests and perspectives of social groups with which people identify. Identity politics is when people of a particular race, ethnicity, gender, or religion form alliances and organize politically to defend their group’s interests.
- sustain (verb) – continue, carry on, keep up.
- welfarism (noun) – the principles/policies of a welfare state.
- communalism (noun) – adherence/obedience to one’s own ethnic group (against the principle/practice of living together in wider society).
- daring (adjective) – brave, bold, audacious.
- alliance (noun) – association, union, partnership.
- consecutive (adjective) – successive, continuous.
- ally (noun) – partner, supporting (political) party (with common interests).
- Mahajot (noun) – Bengali word meaning “Grand Alliance”.
- turn out (phrasal verb) – happen, develop, end (in a specific way).
- front (noun) – political group, party, faction, grouping.
- nationalist (noun/adjective) – relating to nationalism.
- newfound (adjective) – recently established.
- outperform (verb) – excel, be better than, be superior to, defeat, outstrip, outmatch.
- constituent (noun) – member; integral part/unit.
- sweep (verb) – to win comprehensively (in a contest).
- end up (phrasal verb) – come/appear, find oneself (to a particular course of action in the end).
- join hands (phrase) – work together with.
- campaign (noun) – canvassing, electioneering, an act of soliciting (asking for/requesting) votes; an organized effort that seeks to influence the decision-making progress within a specific group.
- imaginary (adjective) – unreal, assumed, supposed.
- prospect (noun) – probability, possibility, chance; thought, idea.
- mobilise (verb) – bring (resources) into use for a particular purpose/cause.
- variant (noun) – form, version, variation.
- backlash (noun) – a strong negative reaction; adverse response, counteraction.
- pose (verb) – constitute, present, create, cause (a problem or danger or risk).
- dilemma (noun) – quandary, predicament, difficulty.
- irony (noun) – paradox, incongruity, peculiarity; contradiction, a strange/funny situation where things are happening the other way around (than expected).
- the brunt (noun) – strain, stress, pressure.
- tie-up (noun) – allaince, association, relationship.
- curse (noun) – affliction, burden, bane, misfortune.
- polarisation (noun) – separation of two contrasting groups (based on different opinions/beliefs).
- fan (verb) – intensify, increase, exacerbate.
- acrimonious (adjective) – angry, bitter, harsh, hostile, hate-filled, ill-natured.
- Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) (noun) – The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019 seeks to grant citizenship to religious minorities of Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, who had to flee their homeland facing persecution. The six minority groups that have been specifically identified are Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, Buddhists, Christians, and Parsis.
- reinforce (verb) – strengthen, fortify, bolster up, underpin.
- dismantle (verb) – remove, demolish, take down, destroy (something).
- strategist (noun) – someone skilled in planning action/policy (especially in politics/war).
- curate (verb) – select, organize, choose something (carefully & thoroughly).
- spearhead (verb) – lead, head (a movement/protest); be in the forefront of.
- welfare (noun) – a government program that provides (financial) assistance to individuals and families in need; social security, public assistance.
- incumbent (adjective) – present, current, exciting (holder or occupant of an office).
- deft (adjective) – skillful, experienced, proficient, efficient, impressive.
- ambiguity (noun) – doubtfulness, obscurity, uncertainty.
- National Register of Citizens (NRC) (noun) – It is a register that includes demographic information about all those individuals who qualify as citizens of India as per the Citizenship Act, 1955.
- fault line (noun) – a divisive issue; a difference of opinion.
- single-mindedly (adverb) – determinedly, resolutely, stubbornly, unyieldingly, inflexibly.
- divide (noun) – division, separation, split, difference.
- dividend (noun) – benefit, advantage, gain.
- systematic (adjective) – methodical, structured, organized, well ordered, planned.
- build on (phrasal verb) – develop, enhance, expand on.
- divisive (adjective) – alienating/isolating, disharmonious, discordant.
- combustive (adjective) – fiery, ignitable, flammable.
- whirlwind (noun) – a busy, tumultuous (uncontrolled) activity or process.
- strife (noun) – conflict, friction, discord, disagreement.
- chaos (noun) – disorder, disarray, turmoil, disorganization, disruption.
- wisdom (noun) – understanding, sense, common sense, insight, foresight, judgement, circumspection.
- douse (verb) – extinguish, put out, quench, dampen down (a fire).
- lit past and past participle of light (verb) – ignite, kindle, spark off, set on fire, set fire to.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in a different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (Assam discord) – May 08, 2021: