The Hindu Editorial (A lending hand) – May 07, 2021
The Reserve Bank of India’s move on Wednesday to step in and join the fight against the second wave of the pandemic through the announcement of measures aimed at alleviating any financing constraint… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (A lending hand) – May 07, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (A lending hand) – May 07, 2021:
- lend a hand (phrase) – assist, aid, help, support.
- a lending hand (phrase) – a helping hand.
- step in (phrasal verb) – act, take action, become involved, get involved.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- measure (noun) – action, step, procedure.
- alleviate (verb) – reduce, control, mitigate/moderate.
- constraint (noun) – restriction, limitation, restraint; hindrance, impediment.
- timely (adjective) – prompt, appropriate, opportune, well timed, at the right time.
- intervention (noun) – the process of intervening in something; involvement, interference.
- furious (adjective) – enraged, raging, infuriated, incensed.
- pace (noun) – speed, rate.
- fatality (noun) – death, casualty, mortality, victim, loss.
- mount (verb) – increase, rise, escalate.
- overwhelm (verb) – overload, overburden, beset, afflict/strain.
- infrastructure (noun) – the basic physical or organisational structure for something (to function properly).
- significantly (adverb) – notably, importantly, seriously, crucially.
- impair (verb) – damage, diminish, reduce, weaken, spoil, impede, hinder.
- turn a corner (phrase) – improve, get better, pick up, look up (after critical/difficult situation).
- debilitating (adjective) – weakening, disabling, undermining, impairing.
- contraction (noun) – In economics, it refers to a decline in national output as measured by gross domestic product.
- unfold (verb) – happen, occur, take place, transpire.
- address (noun) – speech, talk, discourse.
- acknowledge (verb) – admit, accept, recognize, realize.
- stress (verb) – emphasize, draw attention to, highlight, underline, underscore.
- imperative (adjective) – all-important, crucial, critical, necessary, essential.
- livelihood (noun) – means of making a living with the basic necessities (food, water, shelter and clothing); means of support, subsistence, source of income.
- calibrated (adjective) – carefully assessed/analysed.
- moot (verb) – put forward, introduce, advance, present.
- liquidity (noun) – the availability of liquid assets; liquidity means liquid assets; cash; (liquid asset is an asset which can be easily sold/converted into cash without losing its value).
- credit (noun) – loan.
- credit availability (noun) the credit (loan) amount to which a borrower can access at a specific time.
- ramp up (phrasal verb) – increase (in amount or number).
- lender (noun) – financial institution (bank) which lends money.
- urge (verb) – advise, recommend, suggest; encourage.
- expedite (verb) – speed up, accelerate, quicken, hasten.
- entity (noun) – organization, institution, establishment, outfit.
- vaccine (noun) – a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.
- pathology (noun) – a branch of medical science that involves the study and diagnosis of disease.
- ventilator (noun) – a respirator, a device (used for a patient to breathe).
- logistics (noun) – the process of planning & executing a complex operation; organization, planning, management, arrangement.
- spell out (phrasal verb) – explain, make clear, elucidate/clarify.
- surge (verb) – rise or increase suddenly.
- credit flow (noun) – availability of credit.
- cognisant (adjective) – aware, well informed about, familiar with.
- capital-stressed (adjective) – relating to a bank which has not enough capital (to withstand a negative economic shock).
- central bank (noun) – The banking regulator of a county’s banking system. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is the central bank of India.
- unorganised sector/workforce/labour (noun) – unorganized sector means an enterprise owned by individuals or self-employed workers and engaged in the production or sale of goods or providing service of any kind whatsoever, and where the enterprise employs workers, the number of such workers is less than ten.
- Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) (noun) – MSME stands for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME), introduced by Government of India in agreement with Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises Development (MSMED) Act, 2006. It includes Enterprises engaged in the manufacture or production, processing or preservation of goods & Enterprises engaged in providing or rendering of services with some specific requirements.
- enterprise (noun) – business, company, firm.
- resolution framework (noun) – a resolution framework is to help the entities facing financial stress on account of disruption in normal business activity on account of coronavirus pandemic. So, borrowers opting for resolution of COVID-related stressed loans are not required to submit any specific plans.
- provision (noun) – allocation, distribution, giving.
- heartening (adjective) – encouraging, cheering, promising, gratifying.
- worst-hit (adjective) – affected severely.
- norms (noun) – standard, convention, guidelines, criterion.
- lay down (phrasal verb) – formulate, stipulate, frame, draw up.
- resolution (noun) – a plan with detailed steps to be followed by banks in case they face any difficulty.
- proviso (noun) – condition/term, provision/clause, stipulation.
- avail (verb) – use, utilize, take advantage of (an opportunity/resources).
- lay (verb) – put.
- onerous (adjective) – burdensome, difficult, tough, troublesome, stressful.
- vulnerable (adjective) – relating to a weak/neglected person who is in need of special care/support/protection; ill-protected, easily affected by, prone to, at risk of.
- unreasonably (adverb) – senselessly, illogically, unfairly, unacceptably.
- sanguine (adjective) – optimistic, hopeful, confident, positive, cheerful (particularly in a difficult situation).
- high frequency (adjective) – acute, sharp, piercing/high-pitched.
- indicator (noun) – measure, signal, sign.
- mixed signals (noun) – contradicting signals/indications.
- dent (noun) – reduction, depletion, deduction, decrease.
- aggregate demand (AD) (noun) – it is the total demand for final goods and services in an economy at a given time.
- likely (adverb) – probably.
- moderate (adjective) – average, modest; reasonable, acceptable.
- so far (phrase) – until now, up to the present, up to this point.
- contain (verb) – control, restrain, limit.
- localise (verb) – limit/restrict to a particular place.
- voice (noun) – expression; opinion, view.
- lockdown (noun) – an emergency protocol implemented by the authorities that prevents people from leaving from a place; An extended state of confinement/encirclement/isolation of a person by the authority.
- assumption (noun) – premise, belief, expectation, thought, notion.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in a different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (A lending hand) – May 07, 2021: