Burundi’s decision to quit the International Criminal Court is likely to resonate in other African states whose leaders have long complained that they are targeted for investigation by the UN institution. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-2 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- resonate (verb) – resound, reverberate; evoke some feelings/emotions.
- detract (verb) – distract, divert, avert.
- subvert (verb) – undermine, destabilize, weaken.
- corroborate (verb) – confirm, verify/certify, validate.
- summary execution (noun) – an execution in which a person is accused of a crime and immediately killed without benefit of a full and fair trial.
- flight (noun) – escape, fleeing, exit.
- atrocity (noun) – act of barbarity/brutality/savagery, cruelty, inhumanity.
- lust (noun) – greed, desire, craving.
- contravention (noun) – breach, violation, infringement.
- tenure (noun) – incumbency, term of office, period/time in office.
- pursuit (noun) – quest for, search for; goal/objective of.
- savage (adjective) – ferocious, fierce, wild.
- abort (verb) – terminate, end/stop, discontinue.
- coup (noun) – seizure of power, takeover, revolt.
- rally (verb) – come together, get together, work/act together.
- authoritarian (adjective) – autocrat, totalitarian, dictatorial.
- codify (verb) – systematize, systemize, organize/arrange.
- bloc (noun) – association, union, group.
- charter (noun) – body of law, system of rules, a written constitution.
- genocide (noun) – mass murder, massacre, racial killing.
- dissipate (verb) – disappear, vanish, dissolve.
- emulate (verb) – imitate, copy, reproduce.
- defer (verb) – postpone, put off, delay.
- statute (noun) – law, regulation, enactment/treaty.
- erroneous (adjective) – wrong, incorrect, mistaken.
- evade (verb) – elude, avoid/dodge, escape.
- empower (verb) – authorize, allow, entitle.
- unanimously (adverb) – without opposition, agreed to by everyone involved.
- dire (adjective) – awful, horrible, appalling.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.