The terrorist attack in New York on Tuesday confirms fears that terrorism, especially in the West, is becoming more decentralised, with individuals radicalised by terrorist ideology taking up arms on their own. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-2 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- lone wolf (noun) – a person who likes to do to things on his/her own.
- rhetoric (noun) – (persuasive) speaking; oratory, command of language.
- decentralise (verb) – move the power/control of a department/government from a single place to other locations.
- radicalise (verb) – to cause to follow radical ways particularly in politics ( & society). radical (adjective) militant, extreme, extremist/fanatical.
- plough (into) (verb) – ram, crash into, smash into, collide with.
- inflict (verb) – cause, administer to; impose.
- foil (verb) – thwart, prevent, obstruct.
- case in point (phrase) – example, instance, representative case.
- sophisticated (adjective) – advanced, highly developed, innovatory.
- sympathiser (noun) – supporter, well wisher, ally.
- radicalisation (noun) – the process of causing someone to follow radical ways particularly in politics ( & society).
- strike (verb) – affect, afflict, attack/hit.
- polarisation (noun) – separation of two contrasting groups (based on different opinions/beliefs).
- ethnic (adjective) – relating to a population subgroup (cultural, national, traditional/folk) with a common national or cultural tradition.
- assail (verb) – attack, assault, criticism.
- drum up (phrasal verb) – gather, collect; canvass/solicit.
- vetting (noun) – an act of careful examination & thorough appraisal (of a person).
- foresee (verb) – anticipate, predict, forecast/expect.
- down the line (adjective) – at a later stage; at some point in the future.
- extremist (noun) – a person who is with extreme political or religious views and supports violent actions; fanatic, radical, fundamentalist.
- narrative (noun) – description, statement/report; portrayal.
- discriminate (verb) – differentiate, distinguish, separate.
- persecute (verb) – oppress, victimize; trouble.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.