India’s rank of 131 among 188 countries on the UNDP’s Human Development Index for 2015 and its ‘medium’ performance pose the uncomfortable… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- outlay (noun) – expenses, spending, disbursement.
- liberalisation (noun) – removal or loosening of restrictions on something, typically an economic or political system.
- persist (verb) – continue, remain, stay.
- workforce (noun) – employees, staff, personnel.
- bloc (noun) – association, coalition, federation.
- deprived (adjective) – disadvantaged, underprivileged, poverty-stricken.
- trap (noun) – an unpleasant situation.
- break free (phrasal verb) – escape.
- fiscal space (noun) – it is the flexibility of a government in its spending choices, and, more generally, to the financial well-being of a government (Courtesy: Wikipedia).
- quintile (noun) – In statistics, a quantile for the case where the sample or population is divided into fifths (Courtesy: Wikipedia).
- bolster (verb) – strengthen, support, reinforce.
- indices – plural of index (noun) – measure; guide, indication, sign.
- ratify (verb) – give consent (to agreement) or make agreement official; authorize, approve.
- lacuna (noun) – a gap/empty space; missing part of something.
- deficit (noun) – shortfall, deficiency, shortage.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.