The price of oil has risen sharply in recent weeks leading to renewed forecasts of a sustained bull market in the price of the commodity. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- slippery (noun) – evasive, unreliable, unpredictable.
- rally (noun) – recovery, upturn, improvement/rebound.
- shale industry (noun) – an industry of mining and processing of oil shale. shale is a fine-grained sedimentary rock in which natural gas is trapped underground.
- sustained (adjective) – continuous, uninterrupted, constant.
- bull market (noun) – a share/financial market in which share prices are rising (or) are expected to rise over a period of time. A “bull market” is any time period where stocks are going up in value. A “bear market” is the opposite, when stock prices are falling.
- Brent crude (noun) – a classification of crude oil produced from the oil platform in the North Sea.
- rally (verb) – increase, recover, improve (from a fall).
- portend (verb) – augur, foretell; indicate/signal.
- upsurge (noun) – growth, sudden increase, rise.
- Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries OPEC (noun) – an organization of nations that produce and sell oil and which tries to keep the price of oil at a suitable level.
- cap (noun) – limit, upper limit, ceiling.
- cartel (noun) – a group that fixes prices (high to restrict competition) among members of a group of producers.
- nemesis (noun) – arch-rival, adversary, opponent.
- fiscal (adjective) – financial, trade; revenue.
- inflation (noun) – increase of price level of goods & services & vice versa decrease of currency value.
- bound to (adjective) – certain/sure, very likely, guaranteed.
- unease (noun) – fright, anxiety, panic, distress.
- fluctuate (verb) – vary, differ, shift/change.
- range-bound (market) (adjective) – when a market, or the value of a particular stock, bond, commodity or currency, moves within a relatively tight range for a certain period of time.
- nonetheless (adverb) – in spite of that, however, regardless/anyway.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.