In Tamil Nadu’s politically surcharged atmosphere, almost everything takes on a political hue. Searches and seizures by the Income Tax department following the death of Chief Minister Jayalalithaa were…. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- hue (noun) – character, aspect, type.
- seizure (noun) – confiscation, appropriation, expropriation.
- brazen (adjective) – bold, shameless, unembarrassed.
- curiously (adverb) – strangely, unusually, surprisingly.
- insistent (adjective) – persistent, determined; firm/assertive.
- revered (adjective) – respected, admired, esteemed.
- twofold (adjective) – having two parts.
- legacy (noun) – effect/outcome, repercussion, footprint.
- denounce (verb) – condemn, criticize, decry/censure.
- inheritor (noun) – heir, successor, next-in-line.
- undermine (verb) – weaken, compromise, diminish/reduce.
- narrative (noun) – description, statement/report; portrayal.
- hinge on (verb) – be dependent, be contingent, be based.
- crack down (phrasal verb) – get tough on, take severe action against, eliminate/eradicate/abolish.
- unearth (verb) – discover, uncover, find.
- disproportionate (adjective) – out of proportion to; inordinate, excessive.
- confidante (noun) – close friend, best friend, companion.
- yield (verb) – produce, give, provide.
- warier (comparative adjective of wary) (adjective) – cautious, careful, circumspect.
- faction (noun) – a small group, section, division (of dissenter within a large group).
- toehold (noun) – foothold, grip, purchase.
- drive (noun) – campaign, movement, effort.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.