The resilience of India’s economy has been reaffirmed by the latest data, with both the third-quarter and full-year growth estimates…. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- resilience (noun) – strength, toughness; the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties.
- reaffirm (verb) – assert, state, assure again strongly.
- belying (present participle of belie (verb)) – contradict, misrepresent, falsify.
- dampen (verb) – decrease, reduce, lower.
- suck (verb) – withdraw, remove, pull/draw/take out.
- aggregate (adjective) – total, whole, overall.
- demand shock (noun) – it is a sudden event that increases or decreases demand for goods or services temporarily (Courtesy: Wikipedia).
- undergird (verb) – provide a support/basis.
- surge (verb) – upsurge, sudden increase, rise.
- stark (adjective) – clear, simple, blunt/plain.
- kharif crop (noun) – monsoon crops; Seeds sowing in the beginning of the monsoon and harvesting at the end of the season (oct-nov) in the South Asia.
- precede (verb) – foregoing, previous, prior.
- buck (verb) – resist, oppose, contradict.
- drag (noun) – hindrance, burden, inconvenience.
- halve (verb) – reduce by half (50%).
- in sync (phrase) – working well; in agreement.
- assertion (noun) – declaration, affirmation, announcement.
- understate (verb) – under emphasize, diminish, reduce.
- caveat (noun) – warning or caution of particular conditions/limitations/stipulations.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.