Bald data on Indians killed or injured in road accidents put out annually by the Centre obscure the human impact of the carnage on… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s Word List-2
- bald (adjective) – plain, simple, stark.
- put out (phrasal verb) – issue, publish, release.
- obscure (verb) – overshadow, block; confuse/complicate.
- carnage (noun) – massacre, mass murder, mass destruction.
- indifference (noun) – disregard, apathy / inattention, carelessness.
- blip (noun) – a small/very short & temporary deviation.
- sanity (noun) – practicality, rationality, stability/health.
- inure (verb) – accustom, habituate, familiarize/adjust.
- ghastly (adverb) – terrible, frightful, horrible.
- time-bound (adjective) – related to a certain moment or era in time.
- sanction (verb) – approve, authorize, allow.
- incremental (adjective) – gradual, step-by-step.
- lapse (noun) – failure, error, mistake.
- provision (noun) – term, clause, requirement/condition.
- lax (adjective) – neglectful, inattentive, careless/casual.
- liability (noun) – accountability, legal responsibility, answerability.
- out-of-pocket (adjective) – (of an expense) payments made directly than put on account.
- requisite (adjective) – necessary, required, essential.
- enforcement (noun) – imposition, implementation, execution.
- zero tolerance (noun) – a complete refusal to accept certain behavior (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.