Around the time the UN Climate Change Conference drew to a close in Bonn last week, so did the World Antibiotic Awareness Week, a World Health Organisation campaign to focus attention on antibiotic resistance. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-2 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- reckless (adjective) – careless, thoughtless, incautious.
- climate change (noun) – a long-term change in the Earth’s climate, or of a region on Earth (Courtesy: NASA).
- surveillance (noun) – close watch/view, monitoring, observation.
- predicament (noun) – difficult situation, difficulty/issue, trouble.
- pneumonia (noun) – pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. It is treatable and preventable. However, pneumonia is the leading cause of death among children under five.
- influenza (noun) – it is commonly known as “the flu”, is an infectious disease caused by an influenza virus.
- irrational (adjective) – unreasonable, illogical, pointless.
- quack (noun) – a person who is practicing medicine without proper education; informal healthcare provider.
- yield (verb) – agree to, heed, note, pay attention to.
- tussle (noun) – struggle; contention, clash.
- blanket (adjective) – overall, complete, total & inclusive.
- Cephalosporin (noun) – a class of antibiotics used to treat a wide range of bacterial infections.
- carbapenem (noun) – antibiotics used for the treatment of infections known or suspected to be caused by multidrug-resistant (MDR) bacteria.
- accomplish (verb) – fulfil, achieve, succeed in.
- flout (verb) – defy/disdain, refuse to obey, disregard (a rule).
- bedrock (noun) – core, basis/base, foundation.
- prophylaxis (noun) – preventive treatment.
- knee scrape (noun) – injury, cut, scratch/wound (caused by scraping).
- tertiary-care (adjective) – specialized consultative care, higher level care.
- bug (noun) – a harmful microorganism, typically a bacterium.
- Staphylococcus aureus (noun) – a type of bacteria. it causes minor skin infections, such as pimples & etc to life-threatening diseases such as pneumonia &etc.
- take up the baton (phrase) – accept a specific responsibility/duty.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.