It is an act of constitutional impropriety for the Governor of a State to review the work of government officials when an elected regime is in place. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-2 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- overreach (noun) – an act of trying to do too much; an act of reach out too far.
- impropriety (noun) – incorrectness, misconduct/wrongdoing, irregularity.
- first-hand (adverb) – directly, immediately, personally.
- augur well (verb) – bode, portend, predict (a good outcome/result).
- enjoin (verb) – prohibit, ban/bar, prevent.
- call for (phrasal verb) – demand, require, need.
- bureaucrat (noun) – administrator, office-holder, civil/public servant.
- zeal (noun) – keenness, enthusiasm, eagerness.
- drift (noun) – a development towards an unwelcoming one; disorientation, adrift, confusion.
- on autopilot (phrase) – inattentively, unheedingly, carelessly.
- dissident (adjective) – dissenting/disagreeing, objecting, protesting.
- shore up (phrasal verb) – support, assist, buttress/strengthen.
- gain ground (phrase) – make headway, make progress, advance/proceed.
- bind (noun) – predicament, awkward/difficult situation, quandary.
- lean on (phrasal verb) – intimidate, coerce, pressurize; rely/depend.
- foothold (noun) – footing, grip/anchorage, secure position.
- prospect (noun) – expectation, chance; possibility.
- under a spell (phrase) – not fully in control of a person’s (ideas and actions).
- bound to (adjective) – certain/sure, very likely, guaranteed.
- in store (phrase) – about to happen.
- speculation (noun) – prediction, conjecture/talk, guuesswork.
- imply (verb) – suggest, hint, say indirectly.
- refrain (verb) – stop, desist/abstain, withhold.
- bounds (noun) – borders, boundaries, limits.
- convention (noun) – custom, practice, tradition.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.