Salman Khan may have regretted his remarks in the next breath after uttering his “rape” analogy, or not. His father, Salim Khan, certainly did not hesitate to issue an apology on behalf of his routinely errant superstar son. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
- In the next breath (idiom) – simultaneously, concurrently, at the same time, immediately.
- Utter (verb) – express, put into words, speak, say.
- Errant (adjective) – offending, guilty, culpable, misbehaving, troublesome.
- Revive (verb) – reintroduce, regenerate, relaunch, renew, bring back.
- Strenuous (adjective) – arduous, difficult, hard, tough, taxing.
- Battering (noun) – suffering, physical pain.
- White noise (noun) – different opinions at a time with equal intensities, cacophony, noise, discord,
- Patriarchy (noun) – a society where men have power.
- Insensitivity (noun) – lack of awareness, lack of concern, not caring about others’ feelings.
- Misogyny (noun) – prejudice, dislike, contempt, hatred ( of women).
- Spin a yarn / spin a tale /spin a story (idiom) – fabricate, tell a story/tale, narrate, unfold.
- Political correctness (noun) – ignoring language/behavior that could offend a particular group/gender/sex/race & etc.
- Metaphor (noun) – figure of speech, figurative expression, comparison
- Exhort (verb) – urge, encourage, pressurize, call on, push.
- Misconstrue (verb) – misunderstand, misinterpret, misread, confuse.
- training all guns on the person (idiom) – targeting a person.
- Articulate (verb) – express, put in words, announce, communicate, make public.
- Dispense with (verb) – waive, omit, drop, leave out, forgo, give up, ignore, do away with.
- Abominable (adjective) – loathsome, hateful, horrifying, awful, very bad, terrible.
- Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/ .
- Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press.