Chennai’s date with a strong northeast monsoon ought to be a cause for all-round relief since the water fortunes of more than eight million residents of the metropolitan region depend on this weather system.For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- maroon (verb) – strand, leave isolated, abandon.
- revival (noun) – improvement, betterment; restoration.
- ought to (modal verb) – must, should.
- fortunes (noun) – circumstances, condition, position/status.
- torrential (adjective) – (of rain) heavy, severe, relentless.
- despair (noun) – distress, anguish, pain.
- flee (verb) – flight, escape, exit.
- deluge (noun) – severe flood, torrent; torrential rain.
- alleviate (verb) – reduce, lessen, mitigate.
- drought (noun) – dry spell/period, lack of rain, shortage of water.
- preservation (noun) – conservation, protection, safeguarding.
- downpour (noun) – a heavy rainfall.
- window (noun) – interval, (right) moment, (suitable) time.
- catastrophic (adjective) – destructive, ruinous, disastrous/calamitous.
- impoverished (adjective) – weakened, exhausted, drained.
- viable (adjective) – feasible practical, realistic.
- sprawl (noun) – spread, stretch, straggle.
- wisdom (noun) – intelligence/knowledge, common sense, foresight.
- rejuvenate (verb) – revive/renew, restore; reorganize.
- silted (adjective) – filled with mud/sediment/silt.
- harvest (verb) – gather, bring in; collect/obtain.
- replenish (verb) – refill, restore, fill up (again).
- underscore (verb) – call attention to, emphasize, highlight.
- encroacher (noun) – trespasser, infiltrator, encroacher, violator.
- patron-politician (noun) – politician who is inclined to do favoritism, nepotism, partiality.
- deficit (noun) – shortfall, deficiency, shortage.
- fragile (adjective) – risky, tenuous/vulnerable.
- mushroom (verb) – grow/increase rapidly, burgeon.
- mire (verb) – entangle, mix up, involve (in a tough situation).
- bear the brunt (phrase) – to suffer/get the worst (bad) part of some action.
- exacerbate (verb) – aggravate, make worse/worsen.
- cut off (phrasal verb) – stop/end; disconnect, interrupt.
- dole out (phrasal verb) – allocate, allot, distribute.
- patronage (noun) – help/aid, assistance, support.
- forge (verb) – build, construct, create.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.