The score appears to have evened out for India in its multi-year project of gaining admission to four elite global non-proliferation clubs, with one success and one failure coming within the span of a single week. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
- Non-proliferation (noun) – the action of stopping something (particularly of nuclear weapons by the countries).
- Overplay one’s hand (idiom) – someone’s over confidence spoiling his/her chance of success.
- Ballistic missile (noun) – a missile, which is shot from the ground, takes a long distance to travel well outside the atmosphere and falls to the earth to explode on its target (due to the gravity).
- Drone (noun) – unmanned aircraft /missile.
- Gathering dust (idiom) – something remains unused. something which is not used for a long time.
- Bargaining chip (noun) – something which is used to negotiate with others while trying to get a deal/an agreement.
- Holdout (noun) – an act of holding out (resisting) something/a person who is holding out (resisting) something.
- Marine (noun) – A member of the naval troops.
- Underpin (verb) – support, justify.
- Political intricacies (noun) – political subjects which are complex/perplexed.
- Gloat over (verb) – delight in, relish, take great pleasure in, enjoy greatly.
- Accrue (verb) – result, arise, follow, accompany.
- Strategic interest – It is a term related to defence and geopolitical concerns. This long term interest benefits the country in the form of increased safety, better trade relations, access to financial markets etc.
- Untangle (verb) – sort out, solve, answer, disentangle, unknot.
- Full-throttle (noun) – doing something with great intensity.
- Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/ .
- Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press.