Bengal doctor beaten up’, ‘Hospital ransacked by angry relatives’, ‘AIIMS doctor assaulted by patient’s relative, FIR filed’… over the last many years such events continue to make frequent headlines. The quality of care in health remains among the promises yet to be achieved. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
- Ransack (verb) – lay waste, devastate, wipe out, destroy, rummage through, hunt through, search (through), rake through.
- Overwhelming (adjective) – very large, profuse, enormous, immense.
- Explode (verb) – increase rapidly/suddenly/dramatically, multiply, escalate, mushroom.
- Entity (noun) – organization, institution, establishment, body, system.
- By and large (idiom) – on the whole, in general, generally, mostly, mainly.
- Stringent (adjective) – (of regulations) – strict, precise, firm, rigid, rigorous, severe.
- Regulation (noun) – order, rule, law, ordinance.
- Counter (verb) – oppose, resist, dispute, argue against, confront.
- Overzealous (adjective) – too much of zealous (fervent, committed, dedicated, intense, fierce).
- Detrimental (adjective) – harmful, damaging, dangerous, unhealthy, bad.
- Impediment (noun) – hindrance, obstruction, obstacle, barrier, block , set back, draw back.
- Prerequisite (noun) – necessary condition, precondition, condition, essential, requirement,
- Compassion (noun) – pity, sympathy, feeling, empathy, understanding, care.
- Ambitious (adjective) – aspiring, determined, pioneering, progressive, eager, motivated.
- Rigour (noun) – strictness, severity, sternness, stringency, inflexibility.
- Proliferation (noun) – Rapid increase in the number of/a large number of something.
- Recur (verb) – happen again, reoccur, occur again, be repeated.
- Conundrum (noun) – problem, difficult question, vexed question, difficulty, dilemma.
- Adverse (adjective) – harmful, dangerous, unfavourable, bad, poor.
- Buzzword (noun) – a very popular word/phrase at a particular time/event.
- Replicate (verb) – copy, reproduce, duplicate, make a copy of, recreate, repeat.
- Clarion call (noun) – a strong request for something to be achieved.
- Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/ .
- Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press.