It would be tempting, but dangerous, to see the deadly ambush by Maoists in Chhattisgarh’s Sukma district on Saturday as just a desperate act of a fading insurgent group. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- gauntlet (noun) – a severe experience; open challenge.
- ambush (verb) – surprise attack, trap, pitfall (a hidden or unsuspected danger).
- writ (noun) – power, authority, influence.
- insurgent (adjective) – rebellious, rebel, revolutionary.
- wake-up call (noun) – something which alerts a person to a problem and makes him/her to do some remedial action.
- beef up (phrasal verb) – strengthen, improve, reinforce/consolidate.
- mortar (noun) – a short gun for shooting shells (bombs) at high angles.
- road-opening party (ROP) (noun) – security personnel deployed on a stretch of road to prevent an ambush by insurgent groups.
- make off with (phrase) – steal, run away with, carry/take something illegally.
- unprecedented (adjective) – not done or experienced before.
- hold (verb) – have, maintain, possess.
- formidable (adjective) – frightening, terrifying, threatening.
- sway (noun) – control, power, authority,
- convoy (noun) – a group of vehicles or ships that are traveling together usually for protection (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- red corridor (noun) – a region in the east of India that experiences considerable Naxalite–Maoist insurgency (Courtesy: Wikipedia).
- undermine (verb) – subvert, weaken/reduce, compromise.
- flag (verb) – indicate, signal, point out.
- well-oiled (adjective) – (especially of an organization) operating smoothly.
- put forward (phrasal verb) – propose, introduce, present.
- might (noun) – strength, force, power.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.