Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the Philippines to attend the ASEAN-India summit, the East Asia Summit and the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership summit has….. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- pivot (noun) – centre/focus, focal point, cornerstone.
- precede (by) (verb) – foregoing, prior/former, precursory.
- quadrilateral (noun) – (in this context) a group with four countries.
- moot (verb) – put forward, propose, suggest (an idea).
- pertain (verb) – concern, relate to, be connected with.
- maritime (adjective) – of or related to the sea.
- prudent (adjective) – cautious, careful, farsighted.
- vow (verb) – swear, promise, guarantee.
- set the stage for (phrase) – prepare the circumstances for beginning of something.
- juncture (noun) – point, time/moment, stage.
- tailwinds (noun) – (in business) it describes a situation or condition that will move growth, revenues, or profits higher. Headwinds is a situations or conditions that make growth harder/difficult.
- run into rough weather (phrase) – hit rough weather; run into difficulties or experience problems. (Courtesy: The Hindu).
- hold out (phrasal verb) – last, remain, continue.
- have one’s work cut out (phrase) – be dealt with a difficult task.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.