Tuesday night’s suicide attack on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport that killed 41 people is yet another reminder of the dangerous times Turkey is living through. Its southern border has become a transit point for jihadists travelling to Syria. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
- Living through (idiom) – survive, endure, experience something bad.
- Blowback (noun) – unexpected harmful effect/unpleasant result of something.
- Extremist (noun) – fanatic, radical, militant, sectarian, partisan.
- Mushroom (verb) – proliferate, grow/develop rapidly, burgeon, spread.
- Advent (noun) – arrival, apprearance, birth.
- Call for (phrasal verb) – demand publicly.
- Bankroll (verb) – support financially.
- Pivotal (adjective) – central, crucial, vital, critical.
- Formidable (adjective) – frightening, terrifying, horrifying, disquieting, intimidating.
- Stark (adjective) – sharp, clear, harsh, severe.
- Ambitious (adjective) – difficult, demanding, challenging, tough, arduous.
- Naught (pronoun) – nothing, no effect, no point, no purpose, no end result.
- Tack (noun) – approach, way, method, process, policy.
- Cease (verb) – stop, halt, end, finish, conclude.
- Proxy war (noun) – a war/conflict started by somebody, but, who is not directly engaging in it.
- Manoeuvre (noun) – operation, plan, scheme, action.
- Chaos (noun) – disorder, disarray, disruption, confusion, havoc, furore, turmoil.
- Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/ .
- Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press.