Delhi’s air quality deteriorates with unfailing regularity at this time of the year, with large swathes of north India in the grip of a suffocating smog, but the State governments that….. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- deteriorate (verb) – worsen, get worse, decline.
- residue (noun) – remains, part leftovers, remnants.
- swathe (noun) – a long strip (of land).
- in the grip of (phrase) – affected by something undesirable or adverse.
- suffocate (verb) – be breathless, be short of air, struggle for air.
- air quality index (AQI) (noun) – a number used by government agencies to communicate to the public how polluted the air currently is or how polluted it is forecast to become (Courtesy:Wikipedia).
- hazardous (adjective) – risky, dangerous; unsafe/perilous.
- unconscionable (adjective) – unethical, immoral, indefensible.
- indifference (noun) – lack of concern/interest, disregard, carelessness.
- inaction (noun) – inactivity, apathy/negligence; inertia.
- respiratory (adjective) – relating to or affecting breathing (or organs of breathing).
- impaired (adjective) – weakened, diminished, decreased.
- exacerbate (verb) – aggravate, make worse/worsen.
- biomass (noun) – a renewable and sustainable source of energy (organic matter/materials) which is used to generate electricity (& other forms of energy).
- chronic (adjective) – long-lasting, constant, continuing.
- outweigh (verb) – supersede, offset, cancel out.
- comprehensive (adjective) – wide-ranging/all-inclusive, complete.
- aerosol (noun) – mixture, mix, compound.
- particulate matter (PM) (noun) – a mixture of extremely small (hazardous) solid particles and liquid droplets found in the air.
- commend (verb) – praise, compliment, congratulate/applaud.
- modality (noun) – a particular method or procedure.
- greening effort (noun) – an effort to become more aware/active of environmental issues.
- morbidity (noun) – (in a specific population) the rate of disease/illness.
- cardiovascular (adjective) – relating to heart & blood vessels.
- infamous (adjective) – notorious, disreputable, ill-famed (for something bad).
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.