The coalition ranged against the screening of Padmavati, a big-budget period drama, is growing more violent and absurd by the day. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-2 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- absurd (adjective) – illogical, unreasonable/inappropriate; ridiculous.
- vigilante (noun) – a member of the self-appointed group which officially punishing crimes.
- range against (phrasal verb) – line up in opposition to (a person or group).
- the ranks (noun) – the people belonging to a group or class.
- uphold (verb) – confirm/justify, endorse, validate.
- notion (noun) – idea/thought, belief, concept.
- distortion (noun) – misrepresentation, misreporting, misstatement.
- buckle down (phrasal verb) – get serious about a task or problem; commit yourself to working hard.
- ground (noun) – an area of subject of discussion/idea.
- harp on (phrasal verb) – talk or write/complain continuously and lengthy on a particular subject.
- suppress (verb) – restrain, inhibit, prevent.
- tacitly (adverb) – something which is understood without being directly stated.
- delineate (verb) – describe, define, outline.
- enmity (noun) – hostility, animosity, antagonism.
- intemperately (adverb) – immoderately, inordinately, unreasonably/unjustifiably.
- rail against (phrasal verb) – protest, condemn, criticize strongly.
- vandalize (verb) – damage, destroy, spoil (public/private) property intentionally.
- hand out (phrasal verb) – distribute, circulate, dispense.
- heed (verb) – pay attention to, take notice of, listen to.
- lush (adjective) – luxurious, grand, lavish.
- at pains to do something (phrase) – take great care to do something.
- insistence (noun) – demand, bidding, urging.
- infringement (noun) – the action of restricting or weakening something.
- long-standing (adjective) – well established, fixed/firm; long-lived.
- wage (verb) – engage in, carry on, conduct ( a war).
- humanize (verb) – civilize, improve; personalize.
- narrative (noun) – description, statement/report; portrayal.
- invader (noun) – attacker, intruder; a person invades a country.
- militate (against) (verb) – work against, resist, hinder/oppose.
- latter-day (adjective) – modern, present-day, contemporary.
- patriarchal (adjective) – cultures or societies that are controlled by men.
- shorn past participle of shear (verb) – have something cut off.
- circumscribe (verb) – restrict, limit; regulate.
- fuel (verb) – stimulate, encourage, intensify/heighten (a feeling).
- consolidate (verb) – strengthen, secure, reinforce/fortify.
- regressive (adjective) – retrograde, unprogressive, negative.
- intolerant (adjective) – narrow-minded, uncompromising, unforgiving.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.