Much like the pioneering India-France strategic partnership of 1998, the agreements signed during President Emmanuel Macron’s visit are set to strengthen bilateral cooperation at a time of global flux. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 ( To improve Vocabulary)
- harmony (noun) – agreement/accord, cooperation, friendship.
- global uncertainty (noun) – it means less planning and more ability to think on your feet. “to think on your feet” means to adjust rapidly, effectively, and intelligently to new developments or changing circumstances.
- pioneering (adjective) – distinctive, unusual/atypical, innovative.
- Strategic partnership (noun) – it is a long-term interaction between two countries based on political, economic, social and historical factors (Courtesy: IDSA (Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses)).
- flux (noun) – instability, unsteadiness, unpredictability.
- climate change (noun) – a long-term change in the Earth’s climate, or of a region on Earth (Courtesy: NASA).
- abdicate (verb) – reject, renounce, abandon.
- pullout (noun) – departure, withdrawal, exit.
- reciprocal (adjective) – (of an agreement) mutual, common, joint/correlative.
- quadrilateral (noun) – (in this context) a group with four countries (which having an informal strategic dialogue between the United States, Japan, Australia and India).
- posture (noun) – viewpoint/outlook, opinion, position.
- fossil-fuel (noun) – non renewable resources or fossil fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas are formed from the buried /deposited organic materials.
- daunting (adjective) – intimidating, challenging, disconcerting/ unsettling.
- assertion (noun) – declaration, contention, statement.
- contend with (verb) – cope with, grapple with, deal with.
- fickle (adjective) – volatile, changeable, irregular.
- bill as (phrasal verb) – advertise, announce/pronounce, describe as.
- substantive (adjective) – important & meaningful.
- presumed (adjective) – assumed, supposed, judged.
- blur (verb) – make unclear, make less distinct decrease/reduce.
- pluralistic (adjective) – coexistent; (of people) exist in harmony irrespective of various differences.
- world order (noun) – it refers to the arrangement of power and authority that provides the framework for the conduct of diplomacy and world politics on a global scale.
- eurasia (noun) – the continents of Europe and Asia considered as a whole.
- convergence (noun) – criss-crossing, intersection, interchange.
- be grounded in (verb) – establish, build, settle.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.