The Hindu Editorial (Rights, revised) – Dec 20, 2018
The passage of a Bill in the Lok Sabha to secure the rights of transgender persons is a progressive step towards extending constitutional protection to this highly marginalised community. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Rights, revised) – Dec 20, 2018.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Rights, revised) – Dec 20, 2018
- transgender community (noun) – people whose gender identity or expression does not match the sex they were assigned at birth.
- progressive (adjective) – liberal, forward-looking, reforming.
- marginalised (adjective) – relating to the people treated as insignificant/unimportant/neglected.
- fall short of (phrase) – be deficient/inadequate/insufficient; fail to meet/reach.
- stakeholder (noun) – a person with an interest in something.
- envisage (verb) – foresee, predict, forecast.
- gender-queer (noun) – genderfluid, non binary; Gender-queer describes people whose gender identity is something other than simply male or female.
- gate-keeping (noun) – controlling access to something.
- legitimate (adjective) – valid, logical, lawful/authentic.
- bar (noun) – restriction, barrier, block.
- harassment (noun) – persecution/abuse, aggressive intimidation, persistent annoyance.
- flee (verb) – run away, take flight, escape.
- criminalise (verb) – make something (an activity) illegal.
- entice (verb) – attract, tempt, persuade.
- alms (noun) – offerings or handouts such as food or money.
- far-reaching (adjective) – important, major, significant.
- provision (noun) – term, clause, condition.
- high-minded (adjective) – decent, idealistic, right-thinking.
- zealous (adjective) – passionate, devout, fervent.
- objective (noun) – intention, purpose, target/aim.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Rights, revised) – Dec 20, 2018: