The Hindu Editorial (In slow mode) – Mar 14, 2019
Manufacturing activity in the country continues to remain becalmed. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (In slow mode) – Mar 14, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (In slow mode) – Mar 14, 2019:
- inflation (noun) – simply meaning “cost of living”; increase of price level of goods & services and vice versa decrease of currency value.
- room (noun) – scope, capacity, opportunity.
- becalmed (adjective) – at a standstill, at a halt, unmoving; stranded/stuck.
- index (noun) – measure; guide, indication.
- slowdown (noun) – economic decline, recession, slump/depression.
- slump (verb) – fall sharply, decrease, decline.
- shrink (verb) – reduce/diminish, lessen, dwindle.
- contraction (noun) – decline, decrease, reduction/shrinking.
- bode (well) (verb) – augur, presage, portend (something, a good outcome).
- proxy (noun) – a number used to indicate the value of something in calculation.
- contract (verb) – decrease, diminish, reduce.
- telling (adjective) – revealing, significant/important, meaningful.
- sustained (adjective) – continuous, uninterrupted, constant.
- revival (noun) – improvement, betterment; restoration.
- curb (noun) – restrain, restriction, limitation/stricture.
- outlay (noun) – expenditure, expenses, spending.
- capex (noun) – capital expenditure.
- anaemic (adjective) – feeble, weak, poor.
- wind (noun) – turn/twist in a course.
- headline (retail) inflation (noun) – it is a measure of the total inflation within an economy, including commodities such as food and energy prices (e.g., oil and gas).
- core inflation (noun) – it is a measure of the total inflation within an economy, excluding commodities such as food and energy prices (which change frequently).
- persistent (adjective) – continuing, constant/continuous, steady.
- deflationary (adjective) – characterized by or tending to cause economic deflation.
- disquieting (adjective) – horrible, awful, disgusting/upsetting.
- agrarian (adjective) – relating to cultivating/farming.
- heartland (noun) – the most important part of a field of activity; the central part of something.
- turnaround (noun) – an unexpected change.
- fortunes (noun) – circumstances, state of affairs, conditions.
- spigot (noun) – tap, valve, stopcock.
- woo (verb) – seek the support of, seek the favour of, try to attract.
- impulse (noun) – (strong & sudden) urge/instinct, compulsion, need.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (In slow mode) – Mar 14, 2019: