The Hindu Editorial (A curious bid) – Feb 12, 2019
The rather unusual move by a member of Thailand’s royal family to announce a bid for the office of Prime Minister has ignited greater interest in the country’s general election. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (A curious bid) – Feb 12, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (A curious bid) – Feb 12, 2019:
- curious (adjective) – strange/unusual, unconventional, surprising.
- bid (noun) – attempt, effort, endeavour/try.
- ignite (verb) – arouse, kindle, trigger.
- subsequently (adverb) – afterwards, later on, eventually.
- prospect (noun) – thought, idea, undertaking.
- credible (adjective) – convincing, acceptable; reasonable/valid.
- coup (verb) – seizure of power, deposition; rebellion.
- depose (verb) – topple/bring down, dethrone/unseat, remove from office.
- leaning (noun) – inclination, tendency, penchant/predisposition.
- ratify (verb) – confirm, approve, sanction/endorse.
- referendum (noun) – public vote; a direct vote in which people cast ballots to decide on a specific issue or policy (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- promulgation (noun) – enactment, implementation, enforcement.
- withhold (verb) – stop, desist/abstain, hold back.
- provision (noun) – term, clause, requirement/condition.
- overdue (adjective) – delayed, belated, outstanding.
- defer (verb) – delay, postpone, put off.
- silence (verb) – muffle, suppress, reduce/stop.
- fray (noun) – battle, fight, contest/competition.
- exile (verb) – expel, banish, expatriate/deport.
- tycoon (noun) – magnate, mogul, big businessman/businesswoman, baron (an important/powerful (business) person).
- elite (noun) – high society people; the group of most powerful people in a society.
- evict (verb) – expel, eject, oust/remove.
- hold sway (phrase) – be in power/control, rule.
- predominantly (adverb) – mainly, mostly, commonly.
- electorate (noun) – all the people who entitled to vote in an election.
- dent (verb) – diminish, reduce/lessen, erode/weaken.
- proxy (noun) – representative figure for something/someone (original).
- determinant (noun) – factor, issue, concern.
- relinquish (verb) – renounce, give up, abandon/stand down.
- keenly (adverb) – eagerly, tensely, enthusiastically.
- pre-eminent (adjective) – important, distinguished, prominent.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (A curious bid) – Feb 12, 2019: