The Supreme Court order to halt the murky course that mining has taken in Goa should help restore some balance to the exploitation of iron and manganese ore in the ecologically fragile State. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- murky (adjective) – questionable, suspicious, dubious/mysterious.
- ore (noun) – a natural solid material from which a metal is extracted.
- fragile (adjective) – tenuous, insubstantial, unsound.
- rapacious (adjective) – greedy, materialistic, extortionate.
- lay down (phrasal verb) – formulate, stipulate; prescribe.
- disregard (noun) – ignore, take no notice of, overlook/dismiss.
- inexplicably (adverb) – in a way something can not be accountable /explainable/ understandable.
- cloud (noun) – an indistinct & large quantity of something.
- suspicion (noun) – doubt/qualm, question mark, misgiving.
- hastily (adverb) – quickly, hurriedly, swiftly/rapidly.
- unveil (verb) – present, disclose, make public.
- apparently (adverb) – seemingly, evidently, ostensibly.
- pre-empt (verb) – act in advance, take over (in advance), get in before.
- resumption (noun) – restarting, recommencement, reopening.
- sustainable (adjective) – valid, reliable, dependable.
- contaminated (adjective) – polluted, adulterated; spoiled.
- fouled (adjected) – unclean/dirty, contaminated, polluted.
- underscore (verb) – call attention to, emphasize, highlight.
- zero tolerance (noun) – a complete refusal to accept certain behavior (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- indefensible (adjective) – unjustified, baseless, illogical/irrational.
- abeyance (noun) – suspension, reserve, postponed; abeyance order (noun) – an order that is temporarily put on hold/suspension.
- charter (noun) – service, contract, engagement.
- opencast (adjective) – denoting a method of mining in which ore is extracted at earth’s surface by making cut/pit/hole at the surface of the ground (instead of tunneling into the earth).
- dust bowl (noun) – waste land.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.