The Financial Action Task Force (FATF) that monitors countries on action taken against terror-financing and money-laundering has decided to place Pakistan back on its watch list, or “greylist”, from June. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- money-laundering (noun) – a secret act of moving illegally acquired funds into legal bank accounts or investments.
- greylist (noun) – a particular condition of holding someone in scepticism (not excluded completely).
- overdue (adjective) – late, behind schedule/time, delayed.
- blatant (adjective) – flagrant, glaring, obvious/evident.
- obligation (noun) – duty, commitment, responsibility.
- crackdown (verb) – clampdown, getting tough/severe measures, suppression.
- garner (verb) – gather, collect, accumulate.
- turn a blind eye (phrase) – overlook, disregard, neglect, ignore.
- jeopardise (verb) – threaten, put/expose to risk, put in/expose to danger.
- disregard (noun) – indifference; inattention, carelessness.
- outcry (noun) – protest, complaints, commotion.
- plenary (noun) – a meeting (to be attended by all participants of a group).
- formidable (adjective) – strong, powerful, mighty.
- consensus (noun) – an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group. agreement, concurrence.
- outreach (noun) – the level of reaching out/activity/effort; involvement.
- turnaround (noun) – an unexpected change.
- set in stone (phrase) – unalterable, unchangeable, unalterable.
- concerted (adjective) – energetic, active, strong/intense.
- ratchet up (verb) – to increase something by a series of small amounts.
- stricture (noun) – constraint, restriction, limitation/control.
- sanctions (noun) – action taken, or an order given to force a country to obey international laws by limiting or stopping trade with that country, by not allowing economic aid for that country, etc (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- bear fruit (phrase) – yield/get results, succeed, be effective.
- persuade (verb) – convince, influence, induce.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.