The Hindu Editorial (Matchmaking) – Nov 24, 2020
The ruling AIADMK’s declaration on continuing its ties with the BJP for the 2021 Tamil Nadu Assembly elections was no surprise. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Matchmaking) – Nov 24, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Matchmaking) – Nov 24, 2020:
- matchmaking (noun) – the process of matching two or more people together, usually for the purpose of marriage, in business or etc.
- alliance (noun) – coalition, partnership.
- ally (noun) – partner.
- anything but (phrase) – not at all.
- dominant (adjective) – most influential, most powerful, superior.
- ties (noun) – union, association, relationship.
- (it) is no surprise (phrase) – as expected, as anticipated, as predicted.
- align (verb) – join/unite, combine, team up.
- strategy (noun) – master plan, game plan, plan of action.
- take advantage of (phrase) – make use of, utilize, capitalize on, benefit from.
- no longer (phrase) – not any more; true in the past, but not now.
- dispense with (phrasal verb) – discard, get rid of, do away with; forgo, renounce.
- conventional (adjective) – normal, regular, typical, traditional/standard.
- impression (noun) – opinion, view, judgement; feeling, apprehension, suspicion.
- vulnerable to (adjective) – exposed to, susceptible to, subject to, an easy target for.
- indeed (adverb) – in fact, actually.
- seem (verb) – appear, look, show signs of.
- keen (adjective) – eager, very interested, wanting (to do something).
- oblige (verb) – compel, obligate, coerce, pressure, pressurize.
- mouthpiece (noun) – a person/newspaper that only conveys a particular party/organisation’s opinions; spokesperson, propagandist, voice.
- roadshow (noun) – a series of political campaign (in different places throughout the country/state).
- victorious (adjective) – successful, triumphant, winning.
- mirror (verb) – reflect, reproduce, imitate, parallel; reiterate.
- forfeit (verb) – lose, give up, renounce, be stripped of, be deprived of.
- successive (adjective) – consecutive, succeeding.
- deem (verb) – regard as, consider; view as.
- liability (noun) – hindrance, burden, inconvenience.
- bank on (phrasal verb) – rely on, depend on; anticipate, expect.
- heft (noun) – influence, ability; weight/strength.
- wide (adjective) – spread among a large number of people or over a large area; wide-ranging, expansive, extensive, large-scale.
- appeal (noun) – attraction, charm, charisma, drawing power.
- extend to (verb) – be applicable to; extend as far as, go as far as.
- secular (adjective) – non-religious.
- intact (adjective) – undamaged, unimpaired, unspoiled.
- unlikely (adjective) – not likely, improbable, questionable, doubtful.
- ditch (verb) – leave, abandon; break up with.
- ambitious (adjective) – formidable, challenging, difficult; purposeful, hungry, eager.
- perhaps (adverb) – maybe,
- turn to (phrasal verb) – consult someone for help.
- intervention (noun) – the process of intervening in something; involvement, interference.
- need (noun) – requirement, demand.
- possibility (noun) – chance, probability.
- float (verb) – launch, introduce, establish, set up.
- remote (adjective) – unlikely, implausible, doubtful, dubious.
- eventually (adverb) – in the end, in due course, after some time.
- back (verb) – support, endorse, approve, advocate.
- offset (verb) – even up, counterbalance, equalize, neutralize; make amends for, compensate for.
- anti-incumbency (noun) – a situation which is against elected officials currently in power; discontent against ruling government/ party in power.
- aide (noun) – right-hand person, second in command, companion, confidante.
- implications (noun) – consequence/outcome, ramification, repercussion.
- play one’s cards (phrase) –to use the resources or strategies at one’s
- overrun (verb) – invade, occupy, overwhelm, spread over.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Matchmaking) – Nov 24, 2020: