A few months ago, Anjum Altaf, former dean of the prestigious Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), wrote an article in…….. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Advanced Word List 1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- blind nationalism (noun) – extreme nationalism, ultra-nationalism/patriotism (such as Nazism).
- visceral (adjective) – full of strong emotions without any logic, not intellectual, instinctive, unreasoning.
- stand in the way of (phrase) – prevent someone from accomplishing something.
- by no means (phrase) – not at all, in no way, certainly not.
- monopoly (noun) – exclusive/complete control of something.
- drift apart (phrasal verb) – become less friendly.
- meagre (adjective) – small, slight, poor/negligible.
- status quo (noun) – the present situation, the current state, the existing state of affairs.
- raise the bar (phrase) – fix/make the standards (higher) that others to meet.
- high table (noun) – groups with most important people. It exactly means (particularly in a dining hall of a college) a table put on a raised platform for most important people.
- egregious (adjective) – extremely bad; shocking.
- myopic (adjective) – lacking foresight, small-minded, short-term.
- sovereignty (noun) – supremacy, supreme power; autonomy, independence.
- hold water (phrase) – make sense, be convincing, ring true/to seem to be correct.
- seminal (adjective) – influential; imaginative, major/important.
- sell (verb) – deceive, cheat, trick.
- pipe dream (noun) – false hope, daydream, unrealizable dream.
- take off (phrasal verb) – succeed, progress, work out.
- accrue (verb) – arise, accumulate, grow/increase.
- indispensable (adjective) – essential, crucial, necessary.
- resurgent (adjective) – rising again; increasing or reviving after a period of little activity/dullness.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.