The Hindu Editorial (Pull-out puzzle) – Jan 11, 2019
President Donald Trump’s planned withdrawal of American troops from Syria ran into trouble this week as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Pull-out puzzle) – Jan 11, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Pull-out puzzle) – Jan 11, 2019
- pull-out (noun) – withdrawal, departure, exit/leave.
- puzzle (noun) – mystery, contradiction, irregularity/anomaly.
- rebuff (verb) – reject, refuse, decline.
- run into (phrasal verb) – experience, encounter, meet with.
- orderly (adjective) – well organized/behaved, methodical/systematic, peaceful.
- war-torn (adjective) – (of a place) devastated, ruined, wrecked (by war).
- ostensibly (adverb) – apparently, seemingly, on the face of it.
- offshoot (noun) – subsidiary, branch, derivative.
- deem (verb) – regard as, consider; think/judge.
- lash out (phrasal verb) – criticize, attack, censure verbally.
- in a fix (phrase) – in a bad situation.
- geopolitical (adjective) – relating to (the study of) the effects of geography (human and physical) on politics and international relations.
- the equation (noun) – the situation, the problem, the case.
- pivotal (adjective) – central, crucial, vital/critical.
- autonomous (adjective) – self-governing/ruling, independent, sovereign.
- stakeholder (noun) – a person with an interest in something.
- bargaining chip (noun) – something which is used to negotiate with others while trying to get a deal/an agreement.
- extract (verb) – obtain, get, receive/derive.
- concession (noun) – admission, acknowledgement, acceptance,.
- hamstring (verb) – cripple, handicap, constrain/restrict.
- pursue (verb) – engage in, follow, conduct.
- unilateral (adjective) – relating to a method of taking decisions (on international relations) by a state (country) individually without considering other states (countries).
- at the mercy of (phrase) – in the power of, in the control of, unprotected against.
- walk back (phrasal verb) – reverse, change; retreat.
- station (verb) – position, place, set.
- aversion (noun) – opposition, hostility, resentment.
- stagger (verb) – shatter, take aback, shake up/jolt.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Pull-out puzzle) – Jan 11, 2019: