The Hindu Editorial (Moon diplomacy) – Sep 21, 2018
The joint visit of South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korea’s Kim Jong-un to Mount Paektu, the mythical birthplace of the Korean nation. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Moon diplomacy) – Sep 21, 2018.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Moon diplomacy) – Sep 21, 2018
- diplomacy (noun) – statesmanship.
- summit (noun) – meeting, negotiation, conference, .
- revive (verb) – reintroduce, restore, bring back.
- denuclearisation (noun) – the act of removing nuclear weapons from a place.
- infuse (verb) – inject/instil, impart, add/introduce.
- warmth (noun) – friendliness, cordiality, affability.
- thaw (noun) – an increase in friendliness.
- peninsula (noun) – an area of land almost surrounded by water (on three sides) and one side attached to the mainland.
- shut down (phrasal verb) – discontinue, cease activity, close.
- corresponding measures (noun) – (North Korea) dismantling its nuclear site in exchange for potentially major concessions (from the United States).
- armistice (noun) – a temporary stoppage of a war, truce, ceasefire.
- optimistically (adverb) – hopefully, confidently, positively.
- atmospherics (noun) – actions aimed to create a particular atmosphere/situation.
- yield (verb) – provide, give, produce.
- tangible (adjective) – real/actual, definite, substantial.
- ice breaking (adjective) – good-natured, easy-going, neighbourly.
- bilateral (adjective) – involving two groups or countries.
- make headway (phrase) – make progress, make strides, gain ground.
- lay out (phrasal verb) – arrange, organize, plan.
- heartening (adjective) – encouraging, boosting, comforting.
- pursuit (noun) – aspiration for, quest for, search for.
- reciprocate (verb) – do the same, return/give back; respond.
- lasting (adjective) – permanent, enduring, long-lived.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Moon diplomacy) – Sep 21, 2018: