The Hindu Editorial (HIV reality check) – Dec 31, 2018
A 23-year-old pregnant woman in Tamil Nadu tested positive for HIV after receiving a unit of blood at a government hospital blood bank, indicating glaring lapses in screening procedures. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (HIV reality check) – Dec 31, 2018.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (HIV reality check) – Dec 31, 2018
- reality check (phrase) – something which helps us to see a situation with the real facts than ideas, concepts, hopes & etc.
- devastate (verb) – shatter, shock, traumatize/distress.
- lapse (noun) – failure/blunder, mistake/error, negligence/oversight.
- glaring (adjective) – obvious, visible, apparent.
- screening (noun) – evaluation or investigation.
- transfuse (verb) – inject, impart, instil.
- diagnose (verb) – identify, determine, detect.
- certainty (noun) – assurance, confidence, sureness.
- window period (noun) – the time between potential exposure to HIV and when the test reveals for sure if the
person has HIV.
- obtain (verb) – get, acquire, be given.
- consent (noun) – agreement, assent, permission/approval.
- consent (verb) – agree to, allow, accept to.
- imperative (adjective) – very important, critical, necessary.
- viable (adjective) – practicable, feasible, realistic.
- keep something in check (phrase) – restrain, keep under control, control.
- precautionary (adjective) – preventive, safety, protective.
- protracted (adjective) – prolonged, extended/extensive, lengthy.
- keep away (phrasal verb) – stay away, keep away, withdraw.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (HIV reality check) – Dec 31, 2018: