The Hindu Editorial (Golden feet) – Jun 14, 2018
The 2018 FIFA World Cup begins in Russia in a flurry of excitement. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Golden feet) – Jun 14, 2018.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Golden feet) – Jun 14, 2018:
- flurry of (noun) – a series of things happening suddenly at the same period; spate, cascade.
- overwhelming (adjective) – very strong, huge, irresistible.
- be cracked up as (phrasal verb) – be asserted, be stated, be claimed.
- revive (verb) – re-energize, revitalise, reinvigorate.
- humiliating (adjective) – embarrassing, discomfitting, humbling.
- shun (verb) – avoid, ignore, reject.
- predecessor (noun) – previous holder of the post.
- captivating (adjective) – fascinating, attracting, interesting.
- reigning (adjective) – to mention the most recent winner (of a game/competition).
- inflict (verb) – impose, force, thrust.
- far from (phrase) – not, not at all, nowhere near.
- sign on (phrasal verb) – enlist, take a job, join.
- powerhouse (noun) – a person/country with a lot of energy, power & influence.
- cohesion (noun) – unity, togetherness, continuity/coherence.
- sail through (verb) – succeed easily at, gain success in easily, pass easily.
- roster (noun) – a list of the people of a team/organisation.
- jaw-dropping (adjective) – amazing.
- endure (verb) – undergo, go through, experience/suffer.
- persuade (verb) – convince, assure, prompt.
- flawed (adjective) – inaccurate, incorrect, wrong.
- contend (verb) – claim, argue, insist.
- immortalise (verb) – commemorate, memorialize, perpetuate.
- fresh (adjective) – refreshed, restored, revived.
- spearhead (verb) – lead, head; be in the forefront of.
- strain (verb) – overreach, overburden, overtax.
- by no means (phrase) – not at all, in no way, not in the least.
- allegation (noun) – claim, charge, accusation.
- wrongdoing (noun) – incorrectness, misconduct, irregularity.
- sustained (adjective) – continuing.
- at stake (noun) – at risk, at issue, in question.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.