The Hindu Editorial (For liberty’s sake) – Sep 21, 2018
The Supreme Court’s intervention following the arrest of five prominent activists by the Pune police last month has been truly extraordinary and raises the bar for protection of personal liberty. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (For liberty’s sake) – Sep 21, 2018.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (For liberty’s sake) – Sep 21, 2018
- for someone’s sake (phrase) – benefit, advantage, good/gain.
- set the stage for (phrase) – prepare the circumstances for beginning of something.
- raise the bar (phrase) – increase/raise the standards that others to meet/qualify.
- reserve (verb) – defer/delay, postpone, put off.
- pursue (verb) – engage in, follow, conduct.
- allegedly (adverb) – supposedly, unprovenly, reportedly.
- outlawed (adjective) – banned, prohibited, (made) illegal.
- conspiracy (noun) – collusion, involvement, collaboration.
- at liberty (phrase) – free, not imprisoned, unconfined.
- ground (noun) – basis, cause, factor.
- trumped up (adjective) – fabricated/hatched, devised, fake.
- throw up (phrasal verb) – produce, cause, bring something to notice.
- tussle (noun) – scuffle, argument, quarrel.
- contention (noun) – argument, claim, allegation.
- insurgent (noun) – agitator, rebel, revolutionary.
- disguised (adjective) – concealed, obscured; made unrecognizable.
- crackdown (noun) – clampdown, getting tough/severe measures, suppression.
- dissent (noun) – disagreement, disapproval, opposition.
- prosecution (verb) – legal action, legal proceeding, litigation.
- contend (verb) – assert, claim, argue.
- incriminating (adjective) – blaming, accusing, implicating,.
- procedural (adjective) – administrative, official, constitutional.
- remedy (noun) – solution, answer, antidote/panacea.
- arbitrary (adjective) – unreasonable, irrational; oppressive, domineering/high-handed.
- safety valve (noun) – a way or medium of expression to release strong feelings without harming oneself & others.
- sacrifice something at the altar of something else (phrase) – make something suffer for the benefit of something else.
- conjecture (noun) – speculation, suspicion, assumption, .
- wish away (phrasal verb) – try to stop/eliminate something (problem) just by wishing that it did not exist.
- commemoration (noun) – a ceremony in which a person or event is remembered.
- morph into (verb) – transform, alter, modify.
- span (verb) – extent, reach.
- rebellion (noun) – defiance, dissent/insurgency, subversion/nonconformity.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (For liberty’s sake) – Sep 21, 2018: