The Hindu Editorial (Evasive Mayawati) – Mar 23, 2019
Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati once again asserted this week she is a contender for the post of Prime Minister,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Evasive Mayawati) – Mar 23, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Evasive Mayawati) – Mar 23, 2019:
- evasive (adjective) – indeterminate/non-committal; unclear, puzzling/perplexing.
- spectrum (noun) – range, gamut, ambit.
- assert (verb) – declare, claim, contend.
- equidistant (noun) – relating to be at equal distances from two different things; midway/halfway.
- discount (verb) – disregard, pay no attention to, ignore/overlook.
- ballast (noun) – counterweight, counterbalance, counterpoise.
- refrain from (verb) – abstain, desist/hold back, stop.
- relative to (phrase) – proportional, commensurate/corresponding; in comparison with.
- reciprocate (verb) – do the same, return/give back; respond.
- gesture (noun) – sign/signal, indication; action/deed.
- sting (verb) – upset, irritate, hurt.
- rebuff (noun) – rejection/refusal, snub, discouragement.
- vis-a-vis (preposition) – in relation to, with regard to.
- half-hearted (adjective) – unenthusiastic, indifferent, dispassionate.
- doomed (adjective) – ill-fated, cursed/damned, hapless/unlucky.
- cut into (phrasal verb) – obstruct, interrupt, interfere.
- compensate for (verb) – make amends, rectify, offset.
- intact (adjective) – undamaged, unimpaired, unflawed.
- strain (noun) – element, streak, trace/hint.
- inherit (verb) – assume, take over.
- churn (noun) – disorder, confusion, mess up.
- upsurge (noun) – sudden increase or rise of something.
- yearning (noun) – longing, desire/wish, appetite.
- assertion (noun) – declaration, statement, contention/protestation.
- woo (verb) – try to attract, seek the support of, seek the favour of.
- discomfit (verb) – discomfort, disturb, upset.
- stitch (verb) – join, combine.
- primacy (noun) – priority, greater importance, preference.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Evasive Mayawati) – Mar 23, 2019: