The Hindu Editorial (Dollar-rupee swap, a useful tool) – Mar 21, 2019
The Reserve Bank of India’s decision last week to resort to a dollar-rupee swap, instead of the traditional open-market purchase of bonds,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Dollar-rupee swap, a useful tool) – Mar 21, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Dollar-rupee swap, a useful tool) – Mar 21, 2019:
- swap (noun) – exchange, interchange, trade-off.
- liquidity (noun) – a measure of activity (i.e. the ability to buy or sell easily) in a market.
- resort to (verb) – use, utilize, turn to.
- open market operations (noun) – the sale and purchase of government securities and treasury bills by RBI or the central bank of the country. It is one of the tools that RBI uses to smoothen the liquidity conditions through the year and minimise its impact on the interest rate and inflation rate levels.
- infuse (verb) – add, introduce.
- squeeze (verb) – have a damaging effect on.
- foreign exchange reserve or forex (noun) – Foreign exchange. Forex (exchange) reserves are the amounts of assets /money in foreign currencies that a country has in its central bank (in India, it is Reserve bank of India).
- kitty (noun) – finances/funds, reserves, resources.
- implications (noun) – consequence/outcome, ramification, repercussion.
- shore up (phrasal verb) – support, assist, prop up (with some fund/finance to stop declining).
- bond yield (noun) – bond yield is the annualized percentage return that an investor will obtain from buying a bond. In general, the yield of a bond is inversely proportional to its price. This means that as the yield increases, the price decreases (and vice versa).
- prevailing (adjective) – existing; current.
- distort (verb) – falsify, misreport, misstate.
- rally against (verb) – increase in a value (after fall).
- halt (verb) – terminate, end, stop.
- suck (verb) – exhaust, drain, empty.
- appreciate (verb) – increase, escalate, gain/grow (in value).
- influence (verb) – affect, have an effect on; dominate/control.
- aftermath (noun) – consequence, result/outcome, repercussion.
- yield (noun) – gain, return, dividend.
- de_facto (adjective) – Latin, literally ‘of/by/from fact’; actual, existing, effective.
- cap (noun) – limit, upper limit, check.
- intact (adjective) – undamaged, unimpaired, unflawed.
- indiscretion (noun) – irresponsibility, mistake, injudiciousness.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Dollar-rupee swap, a useful tool) – Mar 21, 2019: