The Hindu Editorial (Deadly brew) – Feb 13, 2019
The death of more than 100 people to toxic alcohol in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand has exposed the thriving sale of illicit liquor in the region. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Deadly brew) – Feb 13, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Deadly brew) – Feb 13, 2019
- brew (noun) – a drink/beverage brewed (fermented).
- Illicit (adjective) – illegal, banned, prohibited (something forbidden by society).
- multi-pronged (adjective) – having different aspects/elements.
- toxic (adjective) – poisonous, dangerous, harmful.
- thriving (adjective) – growing, developing, progressing.
- distorted (adjective) – misrepresented, falsified, manipulated.
- periodic (adjective) – regular, repeated, recurrent.
- evade (verb) – elude, avoid, dodge.
- well-entrenched (adjective) – firmly established, long-established, ingrained.
- vend (noun) – small shop/stall.
- hooch (noun) – illicit alcohol.
- unearth (verb) – detect, discover, find out.
- staggering (adjective) – shocking, astonishing, surprising.
- casualty (noun) – victim, fatality, dead and injured.
- acknowledge (verb) – accept, admit, realize/recognise.
- pride itself on (verb) – be proud of oneself for, congratulate oneself on, delight in.
- crack down on (phrasal verb) – get tough on, take severe measures against, come down heavily on.
- den (noun) – place of crime, a site/place wherein people involve in an illicit activity secretly.
- hollow (adjective) – meaningless, empty, valueless/futile.
- opponent (noun) – rival, enemy, nemesis.
- hatch (verb) – fabricate, devise, fake.
- conspiracy (noun) – secret plan, collusion, intrigue.
- attribute (verb) – ascribe, hold responsible for, connect/associate with.
- lack (noun) – absence, deficiency, insufficiency.
- peddle (verb) – advocate, suggest, urge/recommend.
- personnel (noun) – employees, staff, workforce.
- no one’s case (phrase) – to bother nobody.
- bottleneck (noun) – a condition which appears as not solvable and so delays the process; snag, difficulty/problem.
- counterproductive (adjective) – dangerous, harmful, damaging.
- enlightened (adjective) – sophisticate, better, forward-looking.
- strike a balance (phrase) – find a fair & reasonable line of action between two contrasting things.
- curb (verb) – control, restrain, contain.
- zero tolerance (noun) – a complete refusal to accept certain behavior (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- lethal (adjective) – deadly, fatal, killing.
- nexus (noun) – junction/juncture, link; central point.
- in parallel (phrase) – something happening at the same time in relation to something else.
- toxicity (noun) – containing poisonous substances.
- haemodialysis (noun) – Kidney dialysis.
- infusion (noun) – the introduction/ instilling/imbuing of a new thing.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Deadly brew) – Feb 13, 2019: