The Hindu Editorial (Crisis in Caracas) – Jan 26, 2019
The political crisis in Venezuela took a dangerous turn when Juan Guaidó, the new head of the National Assembly, declared himself “acting President”,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Crisis in Caracas) – Jan 26, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Crisis in Caracas) – Jan 26, 2019
- plunge (verb) – push, thrust, force/drive suddenly.
- catastrophic (adjective) – destructive, ruinous, disastrous.
- a host of (noun) – a lot, a large number of, array of.
- interim (adjective) – provisional, transitional, temporary.
- furious (adjective) – very angry, enraged, fuming.
- cut tie with (phrase) – to end/discontinue a relationship with someone.
- diplomat (noun) – ambassador, envoy, emissary/consul.
- grapple with (phrasal verb) – tackle, deal, struggle.
- over-reliant (noun) – depend/rely on someone excessively.
- inflation (noun) – simply meaning “cost of living”; increase of price level of goods & services and vice versa decrease of currency value.
- forecast (verb) – predict, estimate, speculate.
- fled past and past participle of flee (verb) – escape, abscond, run away/take flight.
- overthrow (verb) – remove, displace, dissolve.
- coup (verb) – seizure of power, deposition; rebellion.
- brute (adjective) – crude, violent, fleshly/bodily.
- suppress (verb) – conceal, restrain, stifle.
- deteriorate (verb) – worsen, decline, degenerate.
- hardship (noun) – trouble, difficulty, problem.
- boycott (verb) – avoid, ignore, snub/spurn.
- legitimate (adjective) – valid, logical, lawful/authentic.
- back (verb) – support, advocate, uphold/endorse.
- leave aside (phrasal verb) – neglect, ignore, snub/brush off.
- anoint (verb) – nominate, choose, consider.
- unseat (verb) – remove from office, depose, dethrone.
- untold (adjective) – undisclosed, unreported, suppressed; endless/ everlasting.
- normalcy (noun) – a normal condition; normality, regularity.
- up to (phrase) – the responsible of someone.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Crisis in Caracas) – Jan 26, 2019: