The Hindu Editorial (Congress and cow) – Feb 11, 2019
The detention of five people under the National Security Act in Madhya Pradesh last week, all of them alleged to have committed offences related to… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Congress and cow) – Feb 11, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Congress and cow) – Feb 11, 2019
- out of line (phrase) – behaving in a way that is disproportionate, improper, inappropriate.
- detention (noun) – confinement/incarceration, captivity/custody, imprisonment.
- allege (verb) – claim/assert, charge, accuse.
- amount to (verb) – be equivalent to, be tantamount to, approximate to.
- gross (adjective) – flagrant, blatant/glaring, obvious/evident.
- endanger (verb) – imperil, jeopardize, risk.
- habituate (verb) – accustom, adapt/adjust, make used.
- invoke (verb) – cite, refer to, adduce.
- dissenter (noun) – objector, protester, disputant.
- disregard (noun) – neglect/negligence, carelessness, inattention.
- implications (noun) – consequence/outcome, ramification, repercussion.
- terrifying (adjective) – frightening, disturbing, horrifying.
- stop at nothing (phrase) – persevere, continue,carry on, be determined.
- adherence (noun) – compliance with, conformity, accordance with.
- majoritarian (adjective) – relating to a philosophy that states that a majority (sometimes categorized by religion, language, social class, or some other identifying factor) of the population is entitled to a certain degree of primacy (priority) in society, and has the right to make decisions that affect the society.
- grave (adjective) – serious, crucial/critical, awful/dangerous.
- vocation (noun) – calling, position/situation, purpose/mission.
- reverence (noun) – high regard, great respect, admiration/worship.
- carcass (noun) – dead body of animal, remaining parts of something (dead animal).
- ostensible (adjective) – apparent, seeming, alleged/purported.
- filmsy (adjective) – weak, poor, inadequate.
- stringent (adjective) – strict/stern, severe, tough/rigorous.
- lynching (noun) – an act of punishing/killing someone by hanging for claimed offence by the group of people without legal trail.
- framework (noun) – structure, scheme/system, organisation.
- disrespect (noun) – contempt, lack of respect, disregard/disdain.
- remedial (adjective) – restorative, reparative, corrective.
- backlash (noun) – a strong negative reaction; adverse response, counteraction.
- indulge in (verb) – become involved in (an undesirable activity).
- provocative (adjective) – annoying, irritating, provoking.
- in respect of (phrase) – in regard to, concerning, relating to.
- cravenness (noun) – cowardliness, spinelessness, lack of courage.
- content with (verb) – satisfy, please, pacify.
- denounce (verb) – reject, condemn, attack.
- mollify (verb) – assuage, alleviate, mitigate.
- vigilante (noun) – a member of the self-appointed group which unofficially punishing crimes.
- short-sighted (adjective) – narrow-minded, unwise, thoughtless.
- neutralise (verb) – cancel out, nullify, invalidate.
- revoke (verb) – cancel, repeal, reverse.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Congress and cow) – Feb 11, 2019: