The Hindu Editorial (Clemency question) – Sep 11, 2018
After failing to get the seven convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case released by exercising its statutory power to remit life sentences,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Clemency question) – Sep 11, 2018.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Clemency question) – Sep 11, 2018:
- clemency (noun) – mercy, leniency, forgiveness/forbearance.
- convict (noun) – prisoner, inmate, lawbreaker.
- statutory (adjective) – legitimate, permissible, admissible.
- remit (verb) – cancel, set aside, revoke/repeal.
- provision (noun) – term, clause, requirement/condition.
- primacy (noun) – greater importance, priority, preference.
- remission (noun) – cancellation, suspension, repeal.
- concur with (verb) – agree, assent, accept (a decision).
- precedent (noun) – previous example/instance, prior instance, exemplar.
- ramifications (noun) – consequence, result/outcome, aftermath/repercussions.
- sovereign (adjective) – supreme/absolute, unconditional, unrestricted.
- vest in (verb) – (phrasal verb) – be provided with the power/authority.
- take a call on (phrase) – decide on.
- bound by (verb) – limit, restrict, confine/circumscribe.
- moot (adjective) – debatable, arguable, questionable.
- pause (verb) – stop, halt, take a break.
- diabolical (adjective) – wicked, shocking, dreadful/terrible.
- throw up (phrasal verb) – produce something.
- repatriate (verb) – send (a person) back to his/her own country.
- omnibus (adjective) – the Latin word meaning “for all”; comprising several items.
- gravity (noun) – seriousness, importance, magnitude.
- prolonged (adjective) – continuous, ongoing, persistent.
- incarceration (noun) – imprisonment, confinement, custody.
- compassion (noun) – care, concern, empathy.
- lock away (phrasal verb) – imprison, incarcerate, send to prison.
- sliver of hope (phrase) – a small/thin piece of hope.
- in keeping with (phrase) – consistent with, in accordance with, in line with.
- humane (adjective) – compassionate, generous; socially concerned.
- imposition (noun) – enforcement, execution, implementation.
- retrograde (adjective) – unprogressive, negative, reverse/regressive.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial ((Clemency question) – Sep 11, 2018: