The Hindu Editorial (At a crossroads) – Apr 17, 2019
When protests broke out in Atbara in northeastern Sudan over rising prices of bread in mid-December,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (At a crossroads) – Apr 17, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (At a crossroads) – Apr 17, 2019:
- at a crossroads (phrase) – at a situation when an important decision ought to be made.
- transition (noun) – change, changeover, shift.
- snowball (verb) – increase rapidly.
- coup (noun) – seizure of power, deposition; rebellion.
- quell (verb) – abolish, terminate, demolish/thwart.
- step in (phrasal verb) – intervene, intercede, become involved.
- depose (verb) – topple/bring down, dethrone/unseat, remove from office.
- transitional (adjective) – interim, temporary, provisional.
- clique (noun) – circle, set, group.
- suppress (verb) – restrain, stifle, control.
- dissent (noun) – disagreement, disapproval, opposition.
- unleash (verb) – let loose, release, set free.
- defiant (adjective) – aggressive, belligerent, hostile/combative.
- step down (phrasal verb) – resign, give up one’s job, stand down.
- fire (verb) – dismiss, oust, depose (from a job).
- curfew (noun) – a rule which is instructing people to stay at home, typically at night.
- give up (phrasal verb) – renounce, forgo, abandon.
- wary (adjective) – cautious, careful, circumspect.
- means (noun) – method, way, manner, mode.
- stalemate (noun) – deadlock, impasse, standstill/stand-off.
- impasse (noun) – deadlock, stalemate, stand-off.
- oppressive (adjective) – domineering, heavy-handed, harsh/ruthless, autocratic.
- inclusive (adjective) – all-embracing, extensive, overarching.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (At a crossroads) – Apr 17, 2019: