The Hindu Editorial (a lot to lose) – Mar 21, 2019
The electoral scene in Tamil Nadu presents a picture dramatically different from what it was five years ago. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (a lot to lose) – Mar 21, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (a lot to lose) – Mar 21, 2019:
- towering (adjective) – important, famous, leading/supreme.
- distinctive (adjective) – exclusive, particular, unique.
- liability (noun) – hindrance, drawback, disadvantage.
- dilution (noun) – reduction in value/power/force of something.
- rapport (noun) – affinity, close relationship, bond.
- relatively (adverb) – quite, comparatively/proportionately; to a certain extent.
- variant (noun) – variation, form, alternative.
- fold (noun) – community, group, body.
- reinforce (verb) – strengthen, support, buttress.
- hold sway (phrase) – be in power/control, rule.
- electorate (noun) – all the people who entitled to vote in an election.
- ally (noun) – associate, partner, supporter.
- endorse (verb) – uphold, support, approve.
- marked (adjective) – noticeable, pronounced, clear.
- anti-incumbency (noun) – a situation which is against elected officials currently in power; discontent against ruling government/ party in power.
- supplicant (noun)- a person who begs/asks/appeals to someone (in power) humbly.
- perception (noun) – impression, feeling, thought.
- demonetisation (noun) – the act of deprive currency unit (note/coin) of its status as money.
- rub off (phrasal verb) – be transferred to, be passed on to, be communicated to.
- have a bearing on (phrase) – have a relevance/relation to something.
- pin one’s hopes on (phrase) – rely on, depend on, count on.
- prospects (noun) – possibilities, potential, chances/opportunities.
- splinter (noun) – a separation of a large group into smaller units, mainly due to disagreement.
- fledgling (adjective) – emerging, beginning, developing.
- fray (noun) – contest/competition.
- garner (verb) – gather, collect, accumulate.
- at the expense of (phrase) – sacrifice, loss, neglect of.
- by all accounts (phrase) – supposedly, apparently, seemingly.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (a lot to lose) – Mar 21, 2019: